Dollar Exchange Rate and Peso Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just an update on rates - while the Dow Jones was dropping nearly 400 points today, the Dollar just got stronger. Mexican Pesos now at 18.27 to the US Dollar, per Bloomberg. Will it hit 20 to the Dollar?

Just an update on rates - while the Dow Jones was dropping nearly 400 points today, the Dollar just got stronger. Mexican Pesos now at 18.27 to the US Dollar, per Bloomberg. Will it hit 20 to the Dollar?
You can trade Peso contracts in the futures market. One source is projecting lows below 5¢ /Peso by August. http://www.cmegroup.com/trading/fx/emerging-market/mexican-peso.html

Other futures sites are projecting a little higher value for the Peso.

Edit: I get one Like and this post and receive 4 Trophy Alerts to boot. And it looks like I seem most of my SB time in PMs with 45,206 - which has me on some list as the second highest messaging member. I know it will take me a while to get used to this new format, as well as for them to work out the bugs, but wow! I feel nostalgic for the Parrots of the older board.

Last edited:
A new update on an old thread - according to the Bloomberg site, the US Dollar- Mexican Peso exchange rate closed yesterday at 19.61 Pesos to the Dollar. This is up substantially from about 18.3 only a week or so ago. It may be because the Fed has promised to raise rates. But there was at least one story published which stated (speculated?) that the Peso was falling in response to Donald Trump's improving poll numbers, and the possibility that that idiot might actually become President (not that I'm a fan of Hillary - I find the prospect of EITHER Trump or Hillary as President almost equally repugnant).

But, under the heading Every Cloud has a Silver Lining, it looks like Cozumel is getting cheaper for Americans.

A new update on an old thread - according to the Bloomberg site, the US Dollar- Mexican Peso exchange rate closed yesterday at 19.61 Pesos to the Dollar. This is up substantially from about 18.3 only a week or so ago. It may be because the Fed has promised to raise rates. But there was at least one story published which stated (speculated?) that the Peso was falling in response to Donald Trump's improving poll numbers, and the possibility that that idiot might actually become President (not that I'm a fan of Hillary - I find the prospect of EITHER Trump or Hillary as President almost equally repugnant).

But, under the heading Every Cloud has a Silver Lining, it looks like Cozumel is getting cheaper for Americans.

Yep, 19.61

XE: Convert USD/MXN. United States Dollar to Mexico Peso

But there was at least one story published which stated (speculated?) that the Peso was falling in response to Donald Trump
Politics are always going to affect these things, Mexico's and ours. Trump is quoted as wanting a 35% tariff on Mexican imports, which would indeed raise US prices as well as lay waste to the Mexican economy, so US inflation and Mexican recession could bring on vast changes - none good.

Just for what it is worth, I don't know a single thinking Texan that believes Trump's promise to "build a great wall" along the Mexican border is a good idea. Besides being incredibly expensive and completely ineffective (what, you don't think Mexicans know about ladders?), it ignores the fact that more than 80% of the border in Texas is in private hands, meaning the Federal Government will have to use eminent domain to get the property for the wall AND for all the access roads it will need for Construction crews to build the wall - Trump may be a big fan of eminent domain, but he won't find a lot of fans in Texas - AND that for most of the 900 miles from Brownsville/Matamoros to El Paso, the Rio Grande is the primary water source to all the landowners, so building that wall means not just trying to reduce immigrants, it means cutting off the water source for a whole lot of arid land - it's really hard to grow oranges and Texas Ruby Red Grapefruit in the Rio Grande valley without water to irrigate the orchards, and it's even even harder to raise cattle out west of Laredo without any water. Probably why Texas, which has been a very reliably "Red" state for a lot of years, is now turning Purple in the face of Trump. You'd think, with the Democratic Party offering up a candidate as deeply flawed as Hillary Clinton, the GOP would have found a candidate that could win easily; but NO, it has to go and nominate a complete fool.

First off, the official exchange rate that you may see on the Stock Exchange or other places is for massive amounts of transfers…and have only a small effect on what you get on the street or even banks in Cozumel. Today I saw a sign offering 17.95 pesos per US dollar but that place was closed. That is a trick that many change houses (even banks) use, that is to post a much higher rate than what they are really willing to pay when they reopen.

If I get 18 on Monday I'll be real happy.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

Care to tell us what you REALLY think of the candidates?

Back
Top Bottom