DOLPHIN KILLINGS IN DENMARK ..lets put a stop to this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With cattle, they are raised specifically for the purpose of feeding people and we do not inhumanely cut a small part off and leave the rest. We control the population so that we do not wipe it out. I see these as very different cases. If these dolphins were raised in captivity for this ritual and they were killed in a humane way.....maybe I would switch sides. Maybe.
So they are "raised specifically for the purpose of feeding people," but just whose purpose? Certainly not the cow's purpose. Is it any the less cruel to confine an animal in a small space, without fresh air or sunlight or exercise, for its entire short life, merely because the corporate owner's "purpose" is to kill it for food? How about the environmental side-effects? The squandering of limited fresh water. The over-use of antibiotics, leading to the evolution of resistant strains of bacteria. The inefficient use of land. The pollution that factory farms are notorious for. Etc., etc., etc. Hereford and Angus cows are not going to go extinct as the result of the slaughterhouse, but modern farming practices are doing incalculable damage to the environment.

The cruelty of modern factory farms is certainly comparable to the slaughter of wild animals. With this distinction: Non-industrial societies may be dependent on wild-killed meat for food. In the industrialized world, meat is a luxury, not a necessity. An unhealthy and environmentally-damaging luxury.

So they are "raised specifically for the purpose of feeding people," but just whose purpose?

Are you seriously asking this question? I will hilight the answer which IS found in your qestion by bolding it. Sorry you missed that.

Is it any the less cruel to confine an animal in a small space, without fresh air or sunlight or exercise, for its entire short life, merely because the corporate owner's "purpose" is to kill it for food?

Dude. Did you even look at what was happening to those dolphins? It looked like their necks were being cut with handsaws. If I have a choice of being confined for a meager existence OR being chopped up with a hand saw? Give me the cell with no light.

How about the environmental side-effects? The squandering of limited fresh water. The over-use of antibiotics, leading to the evolution of resistant strains of bacteria. The inefficient use of land. The pollution that factory farms are notorious for.

Are we talking about whether it is right to kill animals or the environment? Both very different topics in my mind even if they sometimes go hand in hand.

The cruelty of modern factory farms is certainly comparable to the slaughter of wild animals.

Watch the video at the beginning of this and then.......whatever. I will not be sucked into this.

Last edited:
I'm saying that both are cruel. Both are inhumane. The argument between people who butcher wild animals alive, and people who apologize for the slaughterhouse, is like an argument over whether Idi Amin or Stalin was worse.

I'm just saying that neither is acceptable. Maybe if you'd ever been in prison you would not be so glib about how "humane" factory farming is.

And no, I have not watched the video. I don't need to to know that it's cruel. I'm just pointing out the log in our own eye. By all means, let's put a stop to the activity in the video if we can. But let's also put a stop to the slaughterhouse. The former is something we may or may not be able to change. The latter is something we can change just by not eating meat. If you eat meat, it's the pot calling the kettle "black."

Okay...is Actress Hayden Panettiere aware of this? She got involved with last year's dolphin killing in Japan...wearing a bikini. Don't hear anything about her being involved with this issue.

The best thing to do is get the word out about the levels of toxins in whale, and dolphin meat. If you bring this to the attention of the people there, they will stop eating whale and dolphin meat.

Lock Washer

yes its true we can't judge other ppls cultures and rituals. However, killing of sealife when they are on the brink of extinction is not acceptable. The sea life does not belong to just any particular country or religion for them to do whatever they please. If its about being over population, isn't the human life also over populated? Does that mean we just start wiping out mankind just for fun or pleasure? So your statement about killing dolphins for just recreation is just downright ludicrus!!! It angers me that people have such shallow minds for another life, be it a deer or sealife...these animals need our help and proctection!!! I was totally apalled at the people in Denmark. I have heard of the Japenese doing such brutal acts and slowly that has also been slowed down thanks to the people who spoke up and are animal advocats. This senseless brutality in Denmark will also come to an end!!! Lets all speak up and do something about it!!!

:angrymob::cussing::furious::pinkdolphin:

where do i sign up to save the dolphins!!!

Just saw the 9 minute YouTube video of the Denmark slaughter. It made me sick. The water stained red with blood, all the thousands of onlookers watching the brutality, little kids with knives helping their dads/brothers cut up dolphins that are still writhing in pain...
Yikes!

Old threads seem to be in these days. In any case it just shows not the manhood but the cowardice of these so called people. Why are they not taking on Saltwater crocs, great whites, or orca with a hand saw. Cause they are truly cowards. If they had shown as much "bravery" against Hitler the war in Europe would have been over much sooner. Pussies.

If young men wish to prove their manhood, let them tangle with great white or bull sharks.

I am glad to see a non-Asian country taken to task for the same kind of actions taking place in Taiji now. If one is against the killing of dolphins and other sentient marine mammals (as I am), one should focus on all nations engaged in this behavior. [Ha... I just noticed Jim's post after I posted this]

I am an omnivore and a marine ecologist. I have no problem with humans taking or raising other animals for food. I would hope that it is done as humanely as possible. However, I do have a problem with the take of intelligent species with well-developed social structures.

As I've said many times, just wait til my friends from the planet Xanadu finally arrive. They consider us far beneath them in intelligence... but quite tasty in raw form or deep fried.

... Cause they are truly cowards. If they had shown as much "bravery" against Hitler the war in Europe would have been over much sooner. Pussies.

To label an entire country as "pussies" for something that is not actually taking place there might a tad rash?

Google Translate

As for the "pussy" part some factual information might be of use:

The German occupation of Denmark

You'll notice that the Danish forces fought until the Government ordered them to cease fighting, and didn't do too bad considering what they were up against.

http://www.thankstoscandinavia.org/denmark

Mindelunden - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

202 graves were found there. Another 151 members of the resistance disappeared and were never found. 115 died in KZ camps.

My mom and dad were young teenagers during the occupation, and my dad distributed resistance newsletters in Copenhagen after curfew. Mom lived in the country and along with the other kids helped as look-outs for the resistance during air drops from England. Both activities likely more risky than any newspaper route you've worked - no?

My dad later served in the cavalry, I served in the military police. My brother-in-law was a fighter pilot. My nephews both served in the army and one of them did a tour of Kosovo, and in August of this year returned from a 6-month tour in Afghanistan. My niece just finished boot-camp and is planning to join the Danish UN forces, and will most likely do tours in either Iraq or Afghanistan as well.

Considering this is a fairly international board, finding the facts of a story as well as refraining from derogatory comments towards an entire nation might be the better approach.

That said; the Pilot whale "hunts" used to be part of how the people of the Faroe Islands survived - no pilot whale meant starvation. In this day and age however I see no reason for it, and while it is part of tradition, there really is no excuse for continuing that tradition today.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ye...resnum=4&ved=0CBQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=&f=false

Henrik
Danish and proud of it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom