Dolphins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving the North and Far North we enjoy wild dolphins about 25% of the time. Video by one of our customers and link to follow. as soon as Memo gets it in the proper format.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

simply WOW! Thanks for sharing OP and Dave and Memo. One day my bucket list will have a check mark by seeing wild dolphins underwater... until then, thanks for these clips! Too cool!

What was interesting today with those dolphins is it seemed as though they may have chased a bait ball up or something. Lots of bird activity hitting the water just where they started surfacing. We were too far away to see if any little fish were jumping out of the water though.

A couple years ago on my first real dive trip after certification I went to Belize and took a trip to Turnoff. We were at the Elbow. I was terrible on air and right when I got on the boat, after a 30 minute dive, about 50 dolphin showed up and circled the rest of the divers for a while. I still haven't seen any while diving.

The pod in Belize played with us. They'd go under a diver to the bottom and then shoot up to the surface, right, and I mean right behind the diver. Always behind. Amazed they never whapped anyone with a fluke. Took me awhile to realize they were doing it to me too. Could barely feel them as they went behind. So close. The male made several trips about 70-80 feet away and to the side, and would turn around and jet right at me. He was huge, obviously bigger than the three mamas. I was vertical with my arms crossed in front and had I just moved my fingers away from my body I'd have been touching him as he went past. They'd go snuffle around in the reef occasionally and eat something and then they'd be back at it, swishing all around us, getting really close. The babies, or kids or whatever were about 3 feet long and stuck close to their mamas but there were times when it was dolphins everywhere.

The next day the air cooled and we got big wind. Both they and the 6 I saw in Cozumel were moving north to south.

The Cozumel sighting only lasted about a minute. They just wanted to pass through. The way each pair was synchronized, it reminded me of a ballet.

Had a very weird encounter with a dolphin once in Provo in the Turks & Caicos. I was snorkeling in about four feet of water off of a sandy beach using a pulse induction metal detector. The water was a little murky, but all of a sudden a dolphin came out of nowhere and began grabbing the transducer ring of the detector in his mouth. He would tug it and then let it go, circle me and then do t again. He seemed to have no fear of me, and when I swam the short distance to the beach, he followed me up to the point he was about to beach himself. I called out to my wife, who came running and got in the water with us. We all three swam back out to deeper water, where he would swim around us in circles, getting close enough to touch. At one point, he turned on his back and flashed an impressive erection. My wife freaked out and swam to shore with him following her all the way. A couple of days later, a local told me the dolphin was a wild dolphin who frequently "played" with folks near that beach.

The point is, if you want to consistently see dolphins (or sleeping sharks or squadrons of eagle rays) you need to go well north of Barracuda. The places are also great for hunting Lion Fish (YUM).

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

The point is, if you want to consistently see dolphins (or sleeping sharks or squadrons of eagle rays) you need to go well north of Barracuda. The places are also great for hunting Lion Fish (YUM).

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers
During my last visit I was at the dock when a group returned from that trip. Everyone on the boat had huge smiles on their faces and could not stop talking about how much fun they had. I am doing it the next opportunity I get.

It's a great day, Streydog. Definitely do it!

Dave, I had ceviche all ready to put together for you a couple of weeks ago. Word was you were leaving the next day. We'll have to work on notification!

Back
Top Bottom