Dominica Comparison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We are planning a trip to possible Dominica in late September. Can anyone who has been there make a comparison between it and any other Caribbean destinations? Diving, hotels, food, costs, and travel comparisons would all be helpful. Thanks.

The most important thing to understand about Dominica is that it's a third world country -- the roads are narrow, winding and in rough shape; official procedures like immigration, customs & airport security are strict and slow to the verge of pain; for the most part the food is just OK though breakfast is always good and there are a few excellent restaurants; there aren't any "resorts" as you might think of them -- hotels are generally small with limited amenities but the service is superb; the capital Roseau is one of the last, purely West Indian towns on earth. Prices are on par or less than many other islands depending on your choices.
If this is OK with you, book a flight. Dominica has spectacular and accessible natural beauty, both above the water and below. It's a place you have to see to believe. And there's too much to see and to do to fit everything into a single visit -- you should check the Dominica websites to choose your highlights. The diving is easy and leisurely and the sites are full of interesting life -- nothing big -- but plenty to enjoy.
We've been to Dominica twice in the past three years for extended stays and dove the north with Cabrits and the south with Nature Island Dive -- both ops are highly recommended.

What a great review of the island. You should write a longer report!

Thanks -- there's so much to say and I don't have the discipline to organize it all so it's easier to answer questions. Ask & I'll answer if I know. Posted a Cabrits review at Undercurrent a year ago since few Americans know about diving the north. Didn't know about Scubaboard until very recently.

Dominica is a picturesque island. Take the time to do some inland
tours as well as dive. Unfortunately, I was only there one day, had an ear issue
and could not dive. The people on the island are very friendly. What stood
out about the people was their passive, polite soft nature. "May I take a moment
to tell you the tour I am selling"? or "May I please show you my products"? When
I walked around the market. Some just said, Good morning and let you look at your leisure.
You can walk around Roussau pretty easily. I look forward to going back
to do the dive I missed. Enjoy your trip

I was in Dominica last month and made a post the time. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/217656-trip-report-dominica-2008-a-2.html
I was in Nassau earlier, diving is great at both places. The service was slow in Dominica, good in Nassau. The docks by main street in Roseau (Dominica) gets a number of Cruise ships a week, service can be slow whether one is there or not. They don't seem to be in a hurry but the food is good. We stayed at the Ft. Young hotel and loved it, service was good. The dive boat left from the dock right outside and thy stored our equipment at night.

Dominica is a nice vacation, but keep in mind that Dominica is truly a third world country. Traveling is difficult due to narrow twisting roads. It's an hour and a half ride from Melville Hall airport to Roseau. The up side is the Island is truly beautiful and you'll find yourself taking picture after picture of the countryside. The people are friendly, happy and kind. Good people there. We found the diving to be good, but not as good as we expected. We found the topside activities to be better than the diving, not that the diving is bad, topside Dominica is spectacular! Diving in the Bahamas, Bonaire, and the Provos is better than Dominica. We're glad we went and have great memories from there. We stayed at the Castle Comfort Lodge and the entire staff there was terrific. I highly recommend them. Check out this video of Dominica, it will give you a good idea of what it's like. Video of beautiful Dominica :palmtree: Bob

I just booked a week at The Anchorage, we are diving with the Castle Comfort operation. Anyone been there recently?

We were there last October and stayed at the Castle Comfort, which is next door to the Anchorage. You'll have a great vacation there. See posts #6 and 7. Tell Reggie and Gus at the Castle Comfort that Robert says Hello. :palmtree: Bob

While we have met many divers who are barely out of the water long enough for their surface interval, anyone who goes to Dominica MUST tour the island. We were there a couple of years ago, stayed at the Anchorage, and used Anchorage Divers. We are very good on air but there was a group on the boat who complained about the 2800 fills. We also stayed at the Calabishe Inn and used Cabrits on the North shore. I wasn't overly impressed with them; we had 45 minute dives and to no where special. But we did go with Nature Island Dive on a couple of days' bike rides (pretty hilly and windy roads), and a hike to the boiling lake. We met a great taxi/bus driver who fixed us up with his son to hike a couple of other waterfalls. We tend to befriend waiters or divemasters to get suggestions on local places to eat. But we had surprisingly excellent Oriental (maybe Vietnamese) food within walking distance of the Anchorage (towards town, downstairs, facing the water). In the other direction we ate at the Green Flash and discovered the owner was from NH and we had known her restaurant there. It is a very undeveloped island so you will not find many hign end stores except at the Fort something hotel. All the meals we had were fine. Chris at Calabishe Inn was a superb chef. Depending on how often you may have been to Bonaire or Roatan, you may be disappointed in the diving, but the island with over 300 waterfalls is truely spectacular.
Sunshine

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom