Dominica Trip Report and Slideshow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks ddawson for report and slideshow. Impressive shots. Where did you see the flying gurnard? It looked like a "muck" site, ie black sand and critters. Interested to know of any good muck sites.

We're going in July and I've just seen the negative post about the Anchorage Hotel. You've been twice with NID - did you hear any comments about other dive operations? See other boats? Any impressions?

Hate to be repetitive, but have to say thanks. Great slideshow! Great pics and the show presentation is very nice.

Where did you see the flying gurnard?
It is the muck dive in the shallower at the Wreck at Champagne
This is a very good muck dive site and it is very close to the NID dock.
I dont know of any other muck dive sites, but I believe you can shore dive off the NID dock and it suppose to very good muck dive site.

You've been twice with NID - did you hear any comments about other dive operations? See other boats? Any impressions?

I have seen the other boats and the other dive operations and the way they work.
All I can say is that I would never dive with those two operations after diving with NID. I am not saying that those dive operations are bad, but they clearly are catering to a different type of diver in general (e.g., large dive shops, cruise ship divers, and divers who want stay in Rosseu for whatever reason)

I also was very impressed with NID. They're a class act.

We'll be there late June - do you know if the water temps vary by season?

Acrodog
You will going at a pretty good time
The dry season is from February to mid-June.
The water will warm up in June compared to March
I think you can expect around 80 water temp
darren

Thanks ddawson. Will check out the muck at NID.

And also for comments. I'd heard about the cruise divers but had been told that they don't mix the cruisers with "others". If we're not happy we'll shoot off down to NID.

we're overnighting in San Juan, PR on the way down and the way back. Can anyone recommend a hotel in SJ? I've heard not so good things about the hotels there.

ddawson,

Hey, I am leaving on June 10 with my LDS for Dominica. We are flying out of Charlotte, on US Air and we were told we would have to check our bags twice, once in Charlotte and then again in Antiqua. In your report you said that once you were in Antiqua you found out you didn't have to, makes me wonder what we will have happen.

I wondered also about this, I was told by our leader that there is a 15lb weight limit on the carry on, did you have that? I am having a real problem with my weight limits. I have managed to get my two checked bags at a combined weight of 48lbs. Cutting it close, if my scale agrees with theirs. But, as for carry on I have a big problem, I am carrying my regulator with air integrated computer on it, my camera gear, medications, a small bag with my soap, shampoo, etc., and because of the possiblilty of delayed luggage, a change of clothes (shorts and t-top), a swimsuit. Now all of this comes to 17lbs I haven't put my travel docs, sunglasses, book to read or my mp3 player in (it is only about an ounce of wt) Also, no sunscreen yet. I was thinking of maybe carrying an large tote as a purse for the miscellaneous things. Do you think I will run into any problem?

We are staying at Ft. Young Hotel, since we have 43 people going it was the largest place that could accomodate this group. I don't know the dive operators are. Hope, to
have a great time though.

Cindy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom