Done with rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

emttim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, figured I'd give an update since I mentioned planning to do the rescue class a few weeks ago. Basically, done with that, now a certified Rescue Diver, and I'm so goddamn tired that I'll honestly describe the class more later since right now I'm just going to sleep for about 14 hours.

I look forward to hearing about it. I'm taking it in a week and would like to know what I'm in for.

I guess it's too late to get in better shape for the class now. :(

I agree it is a good workout. After several of us took this class we did a dive at Edmonds, WA and it was very windy. After our second dive I brought up the idea, while the 1 ft waves were splashing us, that if we had to do a resuce we would be already spent. Very humbling to think about.

But, having the Rescue certification is a good starting point. We must keep working on this basic skill.

Congrats.

I'll be all ears (well, eyes actually).

Rescue is my next major scuba goal.

Congrats emttim!

My wife of 20+ years was my "victim" for my RD cert. It cost me a VERY expensive dinner when the whole thing was over.

And, to answer the inevitable question, it never once crossed my mind to NOT save her. LOL

I agree, this cert was by far the most physically demanding thing I have done in years. Well worth the effort though.

Congratulations! It sounds like you got your moneys worth.

Pete

When I did my RD all the dive staff were mysteriously nowhere to be found when it was time to select a victim. We ended up using one of the dive truck drivers. He was twice my size and it wasn't fun for either of us!

I too just finished my Stress & Rescue (SSI version of Rescue) this weekend and I am sore all over.

Strange thing happened during the open water training at Alki this weekend....
During our break between exercises an instructor from another class and different dive shop started shouting MISSING DIVER. Being in a rescue class we figured that this was part of the training and we all ran over and started gearing up and coordinating the search. About two minutes later the instructor from the other class signaled us off and told us that they had found their diver and everything was ok. Thinking it was strange that they had canceled an exercise early we asked the instructor what was up and he told us that it wasn't an exercise. So basically we almost found ourselves in the middle of a real search and rescue situation on the middle of our rescue class!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom