Don’t do illegal fishing in Indonesian water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TUESDAY, 13 MARCH, 2018 | 18:18 WIB
Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti: I`m Alone
Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti: I`m Alone

TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The past few months have proven tough for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries Minister Susi Pudjiastuti, with a barrage of criticism for some of her policies. Last January, Vice President Jusuf Kalla and Maritime Affairs Coordinating Minister Luhut Binsar Pandjaitanher boss asked her to stop blowing up illegal fishing boats and to focus instead on boosting fish production. Recently Fadli Zon, Deputy House of Representatives (DPR) Speaker from the opposition party Gerindra, lamented that fishermen had encountered difficulties with the ban on cantrang (trawl net).

Since her appointment by President Joko Widodo in 2014, Susi has used the shock therapy tactic of sinking illegal boats to deal with fish thievery. From thousands of illegal vessels caught, 363 are now at the bottom of the sea, while more than 7,000 illegal foreign boats have managed to flee. Susi also prohibited the use of cantrang-equipment made with thousands of meters of nets that trawl the seabed-via ministerial regulation No. 2/2015 on trawls and seine nets. However, last January, Jokowi extended the permit to use the gear after meeting with representatives from pro-cantrang demonstrators.

Susi, 53, said the pressure came from foreign fishing companies who had lost their golden goose. They, she said, want her ministry to loosen up the fight against illegal fishing, and are doing that through various maneuvers behind her back. "Meanwhile, I get very little support,"
the former fishing business owner from Pangandaran, West Java, pointed out.

President Jokowi disappointed with fisheries exports not meeting their quota, reverses Minister Susi's ban and allows thousands metres long net fishing and trawling to go ahead. According to Minister Susi it was pressure from big fishing corporations from China and other countries, was the reason President Jokowi went against her policies.

H. E. Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono | Champions of the Earth

RELEASE: Indonesian President Yudhoyono Honored with “Valuing Nature Award” in NYC | WRI Indonesia

In comparison to President Jokowi, former President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono (SBY) has won numerous global environmental awards from the U.N and other respected organisations over the years. And also respected for the actions he took in protecting Indonesia's marine environment and maritime interests.

"President Yudhoyono is specifically being recognized for his leadership in establishing the multilateral Coral Triangle Initiative, which will sustain extraordinary marine and coastal resources in six countries: Indonesia, Malaysia, Papua New Guinea, Philippines, Solomon Islands and Timor-Leste. This region is one of the most biologically diverse areas, home to more than 75 percent of all known coral species and more than 37 percent of coral reef fish."

"Under President Yudhoyono’s administration, Indonesia pledged to achieve 20 million hectares of marine protected areas across the country by 2020, in which the protection will be strictly enforced and sufficiently financed. To date, Indonesia has achieved 13.4 million hectares of marine protected areas, considerably exceeding the target of 10 million hectares by 2010."

Sounds like they are trying to thread the needle - somewhere between "impress Indo voters" and "don't piss off the Chinese".

But I don't believe anything I read in the papers.

- Bill

Agreed, it's hard to distinguish fact from fiction in the current state of the world's media.

But in saying that, I've been watching the news regularly on Indonesian TV...trying to improve my Bahasa, and I did see the news on numerous channels that President Jokowi was disappointed with fisheries exports and wants to expand export numbers.

Doesn’t sound good.

I don't want to nitpick the negatives. In any case what Minister Susi has accomplished in the last few years is quite amazing! So many illegal fishing boats out of Indo waters. Even her feats have reached globally through the media. Also a lot of local people respect what she's doing, so they'll be thinking more to look after their backyards

Back
Top Bottom