Don't miss dive sites?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drwendy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We're heading down for our first trip to Coz in September, staying at Iberostar. Two questions for you Coz vets: which sites are "don't miss" sites? We're both rescue certified with about 100 dives each, not the most advanced but not noobs, either. We like to see lots of different marine life and other than that aren't picky. And if anyone knows this answer: if we choose not to dive with Dressel onsite and go with another shop, do we have to lug our gear back to our room every single day or will the offsite shops keep it for us? Might be worth the Dressel cattleboats just to not have to drag it all back and forth each morning if that's the case.

Thanks all, can't wait to post a report!

We're heading down for our first trip to Coz in September, staying at Iberostar. Two questions for you Coz vets: which sites are "don't miss" sites? We're both rescue certified with about 100 dives each, not the most advanced but not noobs, either. We like to see lots of different marine life and other than that aren't picky.
Staying at the resort that is the farthest south on the island will limit the sites you have access to, especially if you go with Dressel. Actually, I think they have a schedule so you won't really have much input at to which sites you'll dive. On the positive side, you do return to the resort between dives because you don't go that far from it.

If you do go with a different operator, I think it is best to ask the DM for recommendations based on the current conditions the day you are diving. For me, I don't ask for specific sites, I ask for specific fish/animals such as: "I'd like to see a sea horse please". The DM will know the best place to look for them.

drwendy:
And if anyone knows this answer: if we choose not to dive with Dressel onsite and go with another shop, do we have to lug our gear back to our room every single day or will the offsite shops keep it for us? Might be worth the Dressel cattleboats just to not have to drag it all back and forth each morning if that's the case.
There are several dive OP's that will take care of your gear for you if you dive with them multiple days. I know for sure that www.bluextseadiving.com scuba with Alison and Liquid Blue Divers all will keep your gear between dive days. I'm sure there are others so it's best to ask when you email them.

All of the sites on Palancar Reef (Caves, Gardens, Bricks, Horseshoe) our favorites, Columbia and Santa Rosa are always great as well. In fact, I haven't really had a bad dive yet.

Enjoy yourselves.

One of my favs is Chun Cha Kaab also known by some as Maracaibo Shallows. Lots of shops will keep and rinse your gear (not all will also keep and rinse your wetsuits so ask beforehand). Besides those already mentioned, there's Living Underwater, Aldora, and Bottomtime. I recently heard Blue Angel will also, although I can't say that with certainty. I hate humping gear, especially since I live in town and am not in a resort on the waterfront!

One of my favs is Chun Cha Kaab also known by some as Maracaibo Shallows.

Another vote for this site after seeing it for my first time a week and a half ago. Other favorites of mine are Columbia Deep, Columbia Shallows and Tormentos.

Another vote for this site after seeing it for my first time a week and a half ago. Other favorites of mine are Columbia Deep, Columbia Shallows and Tormentos.

I love Tormentos too...but staying at Iberostar pretty much takes that site off his list of options unless he is diving with Dressel and they go that far north of the hotel...I don't know their schedule.

Some of my favorites in no particular order are: (disclaimer...this list can change on any given day...I've had amazing dives at just about every dive site at some point):
Chun Chacaab
Columbia Deep
Punta Sur Cathedrals
Palancar Caves
Tormentos
Bolones
Paradise (yes, I love it...it's a great shallow dive - most people don't slow down enough to enjoy it)

Barracuda is one of my favorites. Columbia deep and shallow and tormentos are must dives.

My new favorite "don't miss" is Chun Chacaab, it's a bit of a boat ride and can be rough, but it's well worth it. It may be Cozumel's prettiest reef.

Other most notables:
Columbia Shallows
Palancar Bricks & Gardens
San Francisco
Tormentos

We did something new this year for a second dive, we did the "Topside" of Palancar. Rather than dropping to the wall we just cruised in the currents, which were high, over the top of the system starting at "Bricks" floating north, I'm not sure if we covered all 4 Palancar sites or not, but with the current that day I suspect we made at least 3 of them...really nice dive.

There are lots of great sites, my absolute favorite is Palacar Bricks, then caves, and then without doing the "devils throat" the entire reef of punta sur is Incredible. Chunchacab is with out a doubt one of the best. Tunich is a close second for me.
I am the type that in paradise you can spend 1 hour in the shallows and never go to the reef and find sea horses, little pipe horses, rock crabs, sailfin blennies, squids and nudibranchs and baby flounders and a whole lot more just taking your time. All the sites are good but i may be biased cause i am in love with this place.:D

I personally like Colombia deep, any of the Palancar sites and Colombia Shallows, but there are so many others I enjoy I seldom care which is the next one once I am on the boat. Here's the sign at the Iberostar that shows the daily schedule, but they don't always follow it. Use the magnifying glass to enlarge it enough to read which sites they generally visit.
Picasa Web Albums - Larry - Iberostar Coz...
Dressel is convenient, and with 100 or more dives they generally give you better divers & DM's to go out with but many other ops will pick you up there, and most are a bit cheaper. Some keep & clean your gear, some might not, but when I stayed at the Iberostar I wasn't offered that option by Dressel but didn't care because my room was right beside the diveshop, both trips.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom