Don't Take Dive Knife on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SMKChef

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My wife, who is on an NCL cruise from San Juan to the Southern Caribbean was just relieved of my Ocean Master Dive Knife by the Purser's Desk of the Norweigen Sky. :(

They had noticed the knife during x-raying of her checked luggage. She had no problems at the airport because the knife was in the same checked bag. But once she got on the boat, the Purser confiscated her knife. He told her he would keep it in the safe until the end of the cruise, but she isn't sure that will actually happen.

I will let you know at the end of the week.

I went on a cruise and they also took my knife. It was waiting for me when I returned, but I had to talk to several people before they found where they had stored it. It took nearly an hour to get it back. To this day, I'm not sure it was worth the hassle.

Last cruise that I took which was just post 9/11 divers were relieved of their knives upon returning from shore to the ship. PITA. Get some sea snips, they did not even look at those (but things may be different today).

That's actually been the policy for a LONG time - it predates 9/11 by many years.

No weapons of any kind, including dive knives. Its explicitly in some of the cruise line's policies as a warning to those bringing scuba gear.

I'd bring snips instead (they don't even have a point, being "EMT" style shears)

We're talking tiny Wenkona blunt tip BC knife. Still considered a weapon?

Curious.

k

Don't do it. They will confiscate it if they find it, and they're pretty thorough about their security screening.

Not even a penknife is allowed on board most cruise ships. They are absolutely ANAL about weapons. A pair of nail clippers is about their limit.

I'll stow the knife and just bring the line cutter and snips.

Thanks.

What do they do at dinner? Are cruises now plastic utinsils like the airlines?

K

I find it a little odd that they take all privately owned knives but will give you a steak knife for your meat in the restaurant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom