Don't Take Dive Knife on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is a crazy policy. Knives are not weapons, they are tools. I would not have given up my knives.

ElectricZombie said...
Knives are not weapons, they are tools.

I've got to disagree. A dive knife is a [potential] weapon. If I had one, I would respect its potential. For example:

-- I wouldn't leave it anywhere where kids might get hold of it
-- I wouldn't pack it in my hand luggage (duh!)
-- I wouldn't take it when travelling by public transport (which I do a lot, complete with dive gear, so I have a line cutter instead)
-- I would be sorely tempted to stick it into the next Titan triggerfish that harrasses me or my buddy (another reason for not having a knife!)

Knives should be treated with respect, IMO.

Zept

I think this is a semi-related question... Can you pack your dive knife in your luggage under the plane?

In fact, you can transport a firearm on an airplane, PROVIDED it is unloaded, in your checked luggage, AND you declare it at the checkin counter.

You (generally) can also transport SMALL amounts of ammunition in its original box as well, but this is subject to different rules depending on the airline.

Knives in checked luggage are fine, provided there is no issue with them at the origin or destination on the ground (and in some nations there is; likewise, some knives are illegal in certain US jurisdictions as well.)

This is all US-Centric - I assume that international airlines will probably have a kitten with the firearms, and might with the knives.

I guess their worried you'll hijack the ship and crash it into a building. Do they give you aknife when you eat? I have carried a little pocket knife since I was very very yong and don't care to give it up now. I'll bet if I wanted a weapon I could break the leg off a table and use it for a club. Do they have tables? or perhaps the tables just don't have legs. I'll bet you wouldn't have trouble finding a cutting wepon either. I don't think I would enjoy a cruise.

How does the saying go? "A coward dies a thousand deaths the brave man only once"

and have a LOT of pax on them.

They are anal about security due to the risk of rival gang members and such possibly getting out of joint.

Its been a part of going on a cruise as long as I remember; all the lines have had pretty serious security policies in terms of what you can and can't bring aboard.

If you want to go diving, a cruise isn't the right venue for it anyway. The ship is going to leave whether or not you're on it - think about that before booking a dive trip while the ship is in some port, and the timing problems get too severe.

If you want to dive, do a liveaboard or stay on shore somewhere and dive. Cruises are for those who want to spend time on a boat, or those who want to island-hop.

Wreck Ranger once bubbled...
I think this is a semi-related question... Can you pack your dive knife in your luggage under the plane?

Yes, that is where you should pack an possible "weapons." My wife had the knife packed in her luggage and it went through the airport fine. When she got on the ship is when she had a problem.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
oh, yeah there is that little detail. They're not just metal detectors - I asked. They track all the "silver"-goods you couldn't walk out of the dining hall with anything useful.

What ship were you on? I don't remember metal detectors on any cruise I've been on... then again I've never cruised Carnival line. Then again, that's not a cruise, that's a party boat.

between the time you "check" your bags at check-in and when they are delivered to your cabin, in many cases.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom