Don't Take Dive Knife on Cruise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

that is definitely true.

All this hullaballoo about security post 9/11 belies the fact that not one gun and not one "illegal" knife was brought on those planes.

What was brought on board were legitimate tools that passed security and were legitimate to carry on board prior to that date.

There was no breach of security on 9/11!

What there was, and what was exploited, was a belief that a person who hijacked an airplane wanted to use it as a negotiating tool and a means of transportation.

Once it became evident that people would use them as missles, the utility disappeared. Witness the last of the planes that the passengers brought down in an unsuccessful attempt to retake control - while they died, they DID prevent the intended use of the aircraft as a weapon.

The idiocy of the focus on "security" post 9/11 is pablum that is being spoon-fed to the public who, unfortunately, refuse to rub two neurons together and use what God gave 'em to consider whether the changes are either necessary OR appropriate.

Unfortunate, but not uncommon.

Genesis once bubbled...
I'm not saying I agree with the policies necessarily.... just noting what I've seen and been told by the cruise lines.

I'd hate to lose an $80 titanium dive knife that way!

Thank Heaven, I got it on line and it wasn't $80!!!

:D

im going on a liveaboard in about 2 days, wil they take my knife, just a little 3" Aeris, thanks

DiverBuoy:
oh, yeah there is that little detail. They're not just metal detectors - I asked. They track all the "silver"-goods you couldn't walk out of the dining hall with anything useful.

Hmnnn... There wasn't any 'noticeable' detectors on the NCL Sea when I went in January, other previous ships. If there were, they certainly didn't work :-/ BTW, the steak knives on NCL are very sharp and break easily enough if you can find a slot that fits the knife somewhere on the ship. They fit nicely in a DIY DIR Knife holster.

When the brainless NAZI's, I mean, the exemplary security staff confiscated my Ramora (3" blade) after our first dive, I made them break it down, wash it and wrap it several times for both safety and rust prevention. Of course, this occupied 2 simps for the better part of 15 minutes (yeah, they were that swift), driving the lead dweeb almost apoplectic. I loved it :) Mostly they were happy to throw the other divers knives unwrapped and unwashed into the drawer. =-[ The only part that made me angry was their attitude, basically screw the customer - Security <s******> is the only thing that matters. I haven't seen that level of arrogance on any other line. So, basically, it will be a bitterly cold day in the bad place with Satan wearing fleece, down and fur, before I go on an NCL boat again. Like I was going to hijack the Sea in Roatan and ram the Pentagon with it <massive sarcasm off>

On the practical side, there are few places that you will dive from a cruise ship, in the western Caribbean, where you are likely to need a knife. Echo&#8217;ing Genisis, et. al., certainly, a pair of snips is more than sufficient. If you are more the subversive type, you can stash a knife in a small metal case; they don't tend to search that aggressively (there ARE a thousand plus people trying to get back on at the same time you are). My modified steak knife fit nicely in a metal sunglass case, and passed security 3 times. BTW, I never actually dove with it, but it was the principle :) And, yes, you do get your knife back, if you remember to trundle down to the main desk, while in the middle of disembarking.

So..., JamesK, the &#8216;bloods only made it to B Deck, heck on my cruise, the Hells Angels were all over the Atlantic Deck, frolicking in the pool, terrorizing the blue hairs :wink:

jwh

Just a thought, If your dive knife was confiscated by the cruise ship and you got into difficulties on your next dive where the knife would have helped could you sue the cruise line ?
I know some people will say no as it was your choice to dive without a knife but when a crusie line offers diving and then takes dive equipment of you ?.

Not likely if they made you aware of the "no knife" policy ahead of time.

I personally think it's stupid not to carry a knife all the time above or below water. Knives come in handy in everyday life and can be an important tool in an emergency. Knives are primarily tools; weapons second. Anything can be used as a weapon; you could kill someone with a snorkel if you had to.

If a business wants to deprive you of your right to carry a knife or firearm, find somewhere else to do business.

cdiver2:
Just a thought, If your dive knife was confiscated by the cruise ship and you got into difficulties on your next dive where the knife would have helped could you sue the cruise line ?
I know some people will say no as it was your choice to dive without a knife but when a crusie line offers diving and then takes dive equipment of you ?.

I've yet to go on a live-aboard or cruise, but I've noticed from pictures and ads that most cruise boats seem to be registered in some third-world contry. My guess is that they would be hard to sue.

I also remember watching a 60 Minutes-type show talking about the lack of good medical care on cruise lines. If they're not registered in a developed country, they probably don't have any regulation.

Let the cruiser beware.

Rant Alert: I've carried a pocket knife since I was a young 'en and will continue. When I did my cert dives in HI my instructor told me that he once got caught in a drift net, and was fortunate enough to be able to reach his knife and cut himself free. Something to think about.

'Course, I'm from the country, where I grew up believing that a knife is a tool, and firearms are tools, and people are dangerous.

I use a lead lined bag for my camera film when I travel, I always have since I got it all ruined in D.C. in 2000. If you stash your knife in there with some film on top, even if they see the bag and want to look, they probably wont even notice a small knife.

Back
Top Bottom