"Don't worry, we'll get your weight down"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi Tparrent,

22 pounds with a 3mm is well above what many divers need but that dosen't mean it's not right for you, at least for now.

I don't know your body make-up and that can have a lot to do with your required dive weight requirement. So can your gear.

Remember that all of the above posts need to be understood in context. When somone says they wear X pounds with a backplate you need to realize that if it's a stainless steel plate thay just added 5-6 pounds of non titchable weight, it is still weight. Also if they have a STA (single tank adapter, which is a channel like tank cradle) thay may have added another 5 or more pounds of non ditchable weight, again it's all dive weight, just placed differently.

Now cyclinders, you don't have any need for a heavier steel tank. What would be helpful is a less buoyant steel tank. A less bouyant tank will require less weight to keep you down at the end of the dive. Going from an AL80 to a steel HP 80 will slash 7 pounds from your weight belt. This is not something you need to do but most will agree that if dive weight is an issue it is a smart choice. In this comparison the HP steel is also lighter in weight. This means your inertia while diving and your weight walking across the beach will be 12 pounds lighter. That makes a big difference when you're transitioning back to being a land creature at the end of the dive. Check out this old post of mine, it walks through the math.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=1191538&postcount=16

As for checking your weight you are correct that doing the bobbing at eye level at the start of the dive is bogus since you will be about 5 pounds less buoyant at the end of your dive due to air mass depletion. You can fudge this by adding the estimated 5 pounds. Since your dive gear will hold some air (buoyancy) at the start of the dive it is more accurate to do it at the end of the dive with your cylinder sown to 500 PSi or so. At this point your gear will be as saturated as it ever will be.

Remember, End of dive, 500 PSI, bobbing plumb, keep you legs still, cross them if you can't stop finning. Average breath hold you at eye level. Inhale deep mask comes out of water, exhale deeply it sinkls into the water.

With this balance you are just barely buoyant on the surface. Getting down just a bit will begin the compression of your neoprene and give you the negative buoyancy you need to stay down at your stop.

Question......? Are you sure that you are getting all of the air out of your BC? Have a buddy inspect it wile you're in the water. Some BCs are fussy and if you don't learn which way to lean or some other parlor trick you will be diving with a permanent float tied to your body.

You are the diver, don't let your buddy influence what you carry for weight. There is a lot you can do optimize your rig but in the end it needs to be configured as you adaptation to the underwater world.

As mentioned with experience you will become more at ease and carry less air in your lungs and this will let you from some weight over time.

FWIW in my 3mm and an E7-80 cylinder in frsh water I need less than 6 pounds. I know I can easilly start my dive with zero weight. I never sucked a tank down low enough to do a propper check at the end so I used 6 to cover any gas loss. In the ocean in my 7/7mm suit with an E7-80 I wear 26 pounds and that's dialed in just right.

Even though it's a 3mm suit it will loose some of it's bouyancy over time as the neoprene ages and that will let you drop some weight. The bad news is that loss of trapped bubbles in the suit means loss of insulation for you.

Once you get this sorted out you will want to consider trim. Where do you put the weights so you can hang in the water column like a skydiver in freefall. You have your belt, perhaps integrated weight pockets and trim weight pockets up on your back. Where you mount your cylinder will also tip you one way ot the other. There are other options but those are good starting points. Once you have correct weight and trim you will be on your way to relaxing, dropping that lung volume and reducing your weight a bit more. If you have poor trim and are constantly sculling and fussing you will be all puffed up.

Think it throught, make small adjustments and remember that you are you.

Dive safe and often,
Pete

If you do the bouyance check with a full tank you have to add the weight of the air roughly 5lbs with an al 80. Than double check at the end of the dive and adjust.

I you still cork after the bouyance check than you have to look at technique as mentioned unconscience finning or paddling, horizontal trim. If that doesn't work add a few pounds and practice practice practice. :D

Don't sweat it, just dive, and work your weighting over time.

By all means don't try to jump quickly down to 10 pounds, or whatever -- this is about safety, not some kind of macho thing.

Fresh water, 5 mm, AL80 tank, I was 18 pounds right from the get go. I worked trim and weighting for my first 20 dives, got down to 12 pounds.

Switching to salt from fresh, my bump is +6 lbs of lead to compensate for the additional buoyancy. In other words, I use 18 lbs total in a 5mm, salt, diving an AL80. I could drop a couple of pounds, but that gives me a bit of margin -- it's nice to be able to yank a newer diver down if they're going into cork mode, give them a chance to get control a bit.

One thing on buoyancy check -- the neutral on the surface plus 5 pounds gets you to neutral at 500 psi. If you want to be neutral all the way to an empty tank, you should consider neutral + 6 lbs.

(In an AL80, each 500 psi is equivalent to 1 pound. Neutral on the surface with 3000 psi means you would then add 5 pounds if you wanted to be neutral with 500 psi [3000 - 500 = 2500 psi expended].)

Concerning the "I carry nothing" kinds of posts -- some people dive with backplates that in and of themselves count for multiple pounds of weighting and, similarly, are diving steel tanks that have negative buoyancy compared to an AL80 (which is the most likely tank that a newer diver is using). For instance, a Faber steel 80, including valve, is about -9 lb compared to a typical Luxfer or CAT S80 AL80 being +4 lbs buoyancy empty -- the Faber person, effectively, has 13 pounds of buoyancy difference compared to the diver using an AL80. If I took my gear, just switched to a Faber steel tank, my weighting would "magically" change from 18 pounds to 5 -- nothing to do with my being one bit better, just a change in tank buoyancy characteristics.

(I'm thinking of adding a copy of the Huron tank chart to my standard gear -- in FL one op turned out to use steel tanks, and I think I got bad advice on the buoyancy difference when on site, ended up over-weighted by more than I wanted. Reconfiguring weights after dropping off the boat is a pain, can be avoided by good data up front.)

i thought the same thing: "was there some strange noob phenomenon that made them more bouyant???"

the replies above are valid... it has to do with a combo of comfort level, unconscious finning, air in the BC and lungs, etc....

i started OW w/ about 20 on my waist... was able to drop down to 12... i did this slowly as my comfort level increased... dropped 1 or 2 pounds a dive w/ my divemaster lugging a couple of extra pounds just in case or my buddy knowing he might have to pull me down during the safety stop if i screwed up

i also learned to dump BC air much deeper in the dive rather than at about 20 just before the stop - at about 30 i dump my BC as empty as possible and continue to tug the dump until i hit the stop (15-20ft)... that way i am less bouyant and have more control over corking

then i got on SB and joined the dark side... gave up on a jacket and went BP/W... now have 3lbs on my waist (hell of a lot more comfy than 20) and will work on dropping them slowly as i dive more

hope it helps!

i know it ought to work and everyone seems to recomend it, but i've tried to do the bouyancy check thing - never worked for me... either i'd forget to do it at 500psi or i'd have different gear on - so i said "screw it" and do it the harder way... slowly and surely... will take more dives but i'm getting there so you ought to too :biggrin:

Jag

Good point on dumping on ascent -- I consciously go slightly negative as I rise to my safety stop, so I have to fin slightly to get there. The pressure differentials (% change) are greatest shallow, so if you, say, try to go from 30' to 15', only dump when getting near to 15', it's really easy to overshoot.

markfm:
Good point on dumping on ascent -- I consciously go slightly negative as I rise to my safety stop, so I have to fin slightly to get there. The pressure differentials (% change) are greatest shallow, so if you, say, try to go from 30' to 15', only dump when getting near to 15', it's really easy to overshoot.
and in THAT detail they don't teach you during your OW course... seems it's something you either figure out later or learn from someone else

i love learning... thanks mark

Jag

Lots of good suggestions - thanks.

I have a weight integrated BC rather than a belt (MUCH more comfortable when carrying that much weight).

I will really pay attention to my finning. I don't think breathing is a real big issue because I have been very conscious of exhaling when checking bouyancy so I know the effect. Just didn't think about finning.

Also - and this has to be a BIG part of it - I am 6'1" and 260 pounds. I took a look in the mirror this morning and ...um...realized that it's not all lean muscle mass :D Add 60 pounds of bouyancy around the waist and back and you ARE going to need more weight.

I understand this whole thing better now. To make my buddy happy I'll have HIM carry the extra 5 pounds on the first dive so he can hand it to me for the safety stop :D:D:D

shugar:
and in THAT detail they don't teach you during your OW course... seems it's something you either figure out later or learn from someone else

i love learning... thanks mark

Jag

there's no need to be negative and finning during an ascent. I ascend horizontally using only buoyancy control to control up/down movement. by all means slow down in preperation for a stop but you don't need to go negative.

One good reason not to do it is that if you have to stop to handle a problem, your position control requires that you keep kicking which means that you're vertical. being horizontal and facing your buddy makes it much easier to get to where you need to be and being neutral makes it easier to stay there.

Fins are for going forward, backward and turning. You don't need them for going up and down.

Concerning not wearing any weight...

True. I wear a 5# backplate. However I dive with a luxfer AL80 (or two banded together). so I use the plate to offset the positive buoyancy of the tanks rather than carry a weightbelt. Given the difference, I am about 9-10 pounds negative at the start of my dive with all my gear on the bottom. And I am about 2-4 pounds negative on my safety stop. 2-4 pounds of air in my wing is NOT MUCH, and quite easy to control. I have about 6-8 pounds of buoyancy control in my lungs.

MikeFerrara:
there's no need to be negative and finning during an ascent. I ascend horizontally using only buoyancy control to control up/down movement. by all means slow down in preperation for a stop but you don't need to go negative.

One good reason not to do it is that if you have to stop to handle a problem, your position control requires that you keep kicking which means that you're vertical. being horizontal and facing your buddy makes it much easier to get to where you need to be and being neutral makes it easier to stay there.

Fins are for going forward, backward and turning. You don't need them for going up and down.

I tried this during one of my classes after the instructor gave the thumbs up and he grabbed the inflator out of my hand and and wagged his finger at me. I had already filled my lungs and felt I needed a touch more air in my bc, after all we were standing on bottom doing our drills. He then did the swim up sign with his fingers. We were kinda shallow so I guess it's all academic anyways. Also the guys mention exhaling completely during descent. As someone who has to equalize by holding my nose and blowing thats kinda hard with no air. Even though it dosen't take much air to do this I have to do it early and often.Also if this finesse is needed to descend properly what is one to do (other than jack knifing and swimming down) if he needs to duck down quickly to avoid a boat or something??:06:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom