Dorcy brand dive light. Anyone used them?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's interesting that they used 2 banks of 3 AAA cells in parallel. You'd think a better system would be 3 AA cells, since it holds more energy and and is easier to stock and recharge. Even better would be a single 18650 Li rechargeable cell, which is roughly the same voltage.

Adam

yeah... I'd prefer that it used three AA's. That way I'd have to deal with less battery types.

But I've had the batteries in this for a year now and they are still going strong. my wife uses the light 4-5 times a week at night to "go find the cat". so it's used often and the batteries last a LONG time. so changing them hasn't been an issue.

Rechargeables are great if you're wearing them down often (like diving every night). but they don't have any "shelf life" for maintaining a charge. so you can't really depend on them with a flashlight in your car, etc. (and a pain to have to go charge for a dive for a small light).

yeah... I'd prefer that it used three AA's. That way I'd have to deal with less battery types.

But I've had the batteries in this for a year now and they are still going strong. my wife uses the light 4-5 times a week at night to "go find the cat". so it's used often and the batteries last a LONG time. so changing them hasn't been an issue.

Rechargeables are great if you're wearing them down often (like diving every night). but they don't have any "shelf life" for maintaining a charge. so you can't really depend on them with a flashlight in your car, etc. (and a pain to have to go charge for a dive for a small light).

I like rechargeables for diving. Just charge them before diving and you've got fresh batteries good to go.

Adam

I had my first battery cartridge fail today. the screws in the top holding the cap down broke off and the top came off. I called up dorcy and they are shipping me a new cartridge.

I had my first battery cartridge fail today. the screws in the top holding the cap down broke off and the top came off. I called up dorcy and they are shipping me a new cartridge.

I had the same failure, but opted to simply superglue back on.

Sounds like there may be a design flaw in that the screws holding the top cap on don't penetrate deeply enough to withstand some wear and tear.

Others might consider pre-emptively supergluing around the top cap of the cartridge to keep it in place.

I had the same problem. I email Dorcey and they sent me two new cartridges for free.

It seems that the posts that are under that cap aren't strong enough.
Also it seems that the batteries try to come out of the cartridge and then the it gets stuck in the body.

I sent Dorcey an email a week or two ago and asked them to join the thread but nothing yet.
This is their first dive light so hopefully they're willing to hear what could be improved.

Hello everyone.
If anyone has a problem with the cartridge in the dive light we will send you a new one for free
I set up a easy way to get a replacement cartridge.
Go to dorcydirect.com 41-0467 replacement parts
use coupon: scuba1 Cartridge is free and free shipping
41-0467 replacement parts or email support@dorcy.com
Dorcy

Last edited:
Damn! That IS impressive.

Glad I bought the Dorcy.

This is the reason why I purchased your light. You guys stand behind your product and provide after purchase support. I can wait to see what new dive lights you guys will put out in the future. Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom