Dos Gringos en La Ciudad de Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TEERLKAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hola,
We are two gringos, newly arrived in Mexico City. We drove from Texas - what a beautiful country! Unfortunately, Mexico City is about as far from a coast as you can get in this country.

We are looking for a dive club or gathering of divers so we can pick their brains on where Mexico City residents go diving.

We'd prefer a Mexican or Gringo/Mexican group over an expat group (tenemos que practicar nosotros español)

Gracias,
Tom and Lisa

For historical reasons and habit, Chilangos vacation on the west coast of Mexico and dive off Puerto Vallarta and in the Sea of Cortez (from Puerto Panasco to Los Cabos). Cave diving is not as Mexican as it is gringo and the Riviera Maya is full of Americans.

Also, remember, as with most recreational activities in Mexico, there is a certain formality in joining clubs - social networking is important...

The following shops are located in D.F.

Seaspace
Presa Don Martin 123
Col. Irrigacion
Mexico D.F.
MEXICO 11500
Ph.: 55-55801549

GVC Sports, S.A. De C.V.
Carr Mexico-Toluca 5672
Col Locaxco Del Cuajimalpa
MEXICO 05360
Ph.: 55-21632569

http://www.gvcsports.com/

Dive Life
Avenida de las Fuentes 184, Local 510
Lomas de Tecamachalco
Naucalpan de Juarez
MEXICO 53950
Ph.: 55-52949761

http://www.divelife.biz/

Quest Divers
Victoria #10 Col Modelo
Naucalpan Edo
MEXICO CP 53330
Ph.: 55-53738073

Cetus Dive Center
Av. Copilco No 300, Local 17
Col Copilco Universidad
Coyoacan
MEXICO 04360
Ph.: 55-56596284

Hi,

Many DF residents dive in Veracruz as a weekend destination. This is a 5hr drive away from DF and there are comfortable regular buses between the two cities if you want to avoid the driving. There are also low-cost flights from Toluca (~1000 pesos return, from what I have heard). In order to dive in Veracruz, if you already are two people, you can contact directly the diveshops there and make a reservation for the weekend. I know Scubaver ( www.scubaver.com.mx ), at least, goes out to the reefs if they have at least 2 divers in their boats. I am a regular customer of this shop and I do recommend them.

Cheers,

Itziar

Hello Dos Gringos!!
Yes, Itziar is right, Veracruz is a very convenient dive spot if you are in Mexico city, it makes a wonderful weekend trip, very easy and fast to get there. Several dive shops are available which offer good service. Veracruz has a marine natural protected area that consists of >20 reefs, some of them very beautiful and the shops will gladly take you there. There are also some wrecks. I think you can spend years coming on the weekends and find new spots for you. The city of Veracruz and surroundings are very beautiful and the culture and gastronomy is something you dont want to miss while being there. Just go and check it out. If you want additional information do not hesitate to PM, I will be glad to help, I dive regularly with a couple of shops there.

Enjoy!!
Rafael

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom