Double hose and BPW?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ghost95

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Morning all. Hope you're doing well.

I have a question about buoyancy devices and double hose diving.

I have never dove my DAAM's with anything but a harness or backplate of some sort. Currently I have a VDH style plate with a VDH 35lb wing which I love. I have dove the DAAM with just the plate and it worked great. But what if I want to add buoyancy?

When looking at how the DAAM sits in the plate it would be squeezing the wing between the edges of the plate cutout and the can of the regulator. Do you dive a BPW like this with a double hose? Wouldn't it pinch the wing and not allow air to move or is it not a big deal?

What type of buoyancy device are you wearing that provides a good balance between regulator placement and wing (or whatever) buoyancy performance? I know some charters won't allow diving without a BC of some sort.

Thanks for your time.

Safe diving.

I use a VDH plate with a DIY wing... There is a little restriction of the upper curve of the wing, but nothing that impacts use. I'll send a picture after church (getting ready to leave for it now).
Respectfully,

James

Ok, found it quick. My post at the bottom of the page shows it we'll:

VDH vintage plate (currently unavailable), Eric's Freedom Plate (waiting list), and another person here is making a "vintage style" plate (I'm embarrassed as he made me a custom length one and I can't remember his name/business)...

A DSS (no longer manufactured) conventional plate has a flatter bend...

Oxy ULTP is a fabric plate that sits close to your back, and no hard pinch at the can...

On mine, I run the upper curve of the wing between the can and the tank, not between the can and plate cutout
HI James, Thanks for the pic link. I have my plate set for a single hose right now and I see that your wing is set quite a bit lower than mine is. I'll have to try some adjustments when I get home next week and see if I can make it fit more like that.

Thanks everybody else for the replys. Pics of your setups either on or just rigged up would be appreciated if you have time.

Thanks all.

Got it - @SubseaSports is/was making vintage plates in stainless steel.
Thanks. I've used a transpac harness without the wing and it worked ok but now I have a VDH style plate that I'm trying to use. I'm considering cutting my own design to change up some strap routing that I have an idea for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom