Double hose regs--Clearing them

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
My experience with double hose units is actually fairly limited. When I was certified we used the double hose units more in the class than single hose but I bought a single hose. I thought that when I grew up I would get a double hose like Mike Nelson. Little did I know they would fade away. I have dived double hose units some as well from time to time. It seems that some of the units I have used require the diver to roll in order to clear the reg of a flood. A few I have used seem to not require this. They have a valve in the mouth piece. Is this valve something that can be added to any double hose? I think this clearing isssue is the main difference in how they operate from a training issue that would get a "modern" trained diver in trouble if they grabbed one and jumped in with it, no purge button and two feet of flooded hose--yikes!!

I do know how to clear the things, I am asking this question for others and also for imput on how you guys do it and about those valves in the mouth pieces.

On another note, dose anyone know where I could get a 1960s issue of the book, "The New Science of Scubadiving" ? N

Here's a page out of the New Science of Skin and Scuba-1962 on clearing the double hose

Most of the critters had the "wagon wheel" check valves in the mouthpieces, which could still once in a while flood the intake hose on ya if you were too lax in keeping the mouthpiece in the mouth.

Nearly all double hose regs produced after the mid to late 50's had mouth pieces incorporating wagon wheels and mushroom valves and many of the earlier ones were updated by their users.

It is still possible to flood the intake side, but it is a lot harder to do and less likely to fully flood so having to roll to the left to clear is fairly uncommon but still a useful skill to know.

Most every comment has forgotten the most useful, and easiest, method of clearing a double hose regulator. Simply raise the mouthpiece above the level of the regulator out of your mouth, and it starts free-flowing. Then, simple put it in you mouth like you would a single hose and blow out. Water is out of the intake hose with this method, and if you have non-returns in the mouthpiece, when you blow out it's in the exhalation hose. It is good to lean a bit so the left side is down, and if water persists in the hose, complete a roll while exhaling (roll left-side down). But many times it is totally unnecessary.

I still dive some of my double hose regulators without non-returns as they invariably breathe easier. There is no mushroom valve to get in the way of the air flow. But my best regulator, the Trieste II, has mushroom (yes, silicone mushroom) valves.

John

Thanks for the replies. I kinda meant this thread when I posted it as a review of how double hoses differ from single hoses in use such as when clearing them, especially for newer divers who might be tempted to jump in and swim off with no training.
Yeah, holding it higher than the first stage and they will usually bubble happily away. The hose will float back over your head also--lol. They are so wonderfully different! N

John C. Ratliff:
Most every comment has forgotten the most useful, and easiest, method of clearing a double hose regulator. Simply raise the mouthpiece above the level of the regulator out of your mouth, and it starts free-flowing. Then, simple put it in you mouth like you would a single hose and blow out. Water is out of the intake hose with this method, and if you have non-returns in the mouthpiece, when you blow out it's in the exhalation hose. It is good to lean a bit so the left side is down, and if water persists in the hose, complete a roll while exhaling (roll left-side down). But many times it is totally unnecessary.

I still remember Mike Nelson doing this in almost every episode before putting the regulator back in his mouth. :wink:

ScoobieDooo:
Can someone e-mail me that as an attachment so the quality is better for printing? Send to: murban@twcny.rr.com

Thanks,
mju

Just click the thumbnail.
When the image opens right click it and save the picture to your local disk.
Then open the saved file with any decent image program and you will see it much clearer and you can print it without problems.

Hmmm, tried that on the PC at work today and it was minute - but worked fine at home tonight.

Thanks,

Back
Top Bottom