Double hose thread - split from Hey SCUBA gear heads - best regulator for under $1000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have you ever dove one, or is that "what your instructor or LDS said"?

I have not ever dove one - I honestly don't see the point. My T3 is super light, comfortable in my mouth and breaths with no effort. Why would I want to replace it with something that appears bulkier and likely needs more cleaning post dive (I'm assuming that since you breathe back through that corrugated hose, you have to clean/dry it well to prevent bacterial growth?).

BTW - the hoses floating up around your face comment was based on what I saw in the photo that YOU posted - my instructor or LDS has nothing to do with my observational opinion...

Last edited:
#rhwestfall - I'm betting his LDS. The employee. The young dude who's got a grand total of 50 dives under his belt- all in the Cayman Islands.
And you bet wrong - but, of course, that's what typically happens when you think you know what complete strangers base an opinion on...

And I have a total of 50 dives under my belt since getting certified in 2015 - 23 in the Cayman Islands. I almost forgot that this means I can't have a valid opinion here - my bad...

One of mine. :) .......but if you're looking for a new reg set, contact Bryan OWIC647 or at www.vintagedoublehose.com He has just begun selling a new line of single hose regulators that is comparable to any other high end mentioned in this thread. As I recall from another thread of yours, you are looking for a wing setup-he also has wings available at a great price, and a backplate designed for single tank diving (unlike most of the backplates available today that are designed for doubles.)
Thank you my friend but hold up a bit.....single hose is still being evaluated. I dove one of them today and I like whats happening but input from the other divers using them is needed. Plus it hasn't had a November Cozumel shakedown yet.
Randy was over yesterday and we are still working on how to expand on the wing/plate ideas.

input from the other divers using them is needed.
....so sell her one and let her evaluate it. :)

I've used a two different wings (both very similar to the one I have on order from you) with my VDH backplate and I think they all worked very well together. A backplate designed for single tanks that fits flat on the back instead of backplate designed primarily for double tanks is my preference. I have three: a custom made plate, a Freedom Plate, and the VDH plate and they are all more comfortable than the doubles plate I started with.

Versus big thick hoses floating up around both sides of my face... that doesn't work for me:wink:

Like anything else, they have their pros and cons. I started with a double-hose and switched to single because they can take more abuse with a bunch of divers piled in an inflatable. I was back on double hoses during Navy training and back to singles on the Bathyscaph Trieste II since the floating film of AvGas deteriorated corrugated hoses in about a day. It is nice to never have bubbles in view and they are a little quieter. Great for photographers, especially with a wet-mic shooting video.

Like anything else, they have their pros and cons. I started with a double-hose and switched to single because they can take more abuse with a bunch of divers piled in an inflatable. I was back on double hoses during Navy training and back to singles on the Bathyscaph Trieste II since the floating film of AvGas deteriorated corrugated hoses in about a day. It is nice to never have bubbles in view and they are a little quieter. Great for photographers, especially with a wet-mic shooting video.
Agreed - different strokes for different folks. While I don't see any benefit for me, I suppose double hose might offer some slight advantages for photographers who don't want to go all the way to best solution for not spooking wildlife - a expensive rebreather.

well, we just got kicked to the curb.... I still say a modern DH is a great option for a new regulator, and under the $1k budget..... shame the MODS seem to want to exclude it..

yes, I am drinking right now...

well, we just got kicked to the curb.... I still say a modern DH is a great option for a new regulator, and under the $1k budget..... shame the MODS seem to want to exclude it..

yes, I am drinking right now...
Till I pony up the $$$$$ to be on the short list we will be one of the red headed step kids around here....You should wear it as badge of honor though :wink:

Over the next several years, I will be buying additional gear for my grandchildren. You can rest assured that one of the rigs will be a Kraken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom