Double Tank isolator open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got me first set of doubles and dove them two weekends ago. They will take a little getting used to but all and all they felt OK. I felt a little over weighted but I think that was probably because I was diving in a shorty.

But my questions is about the isolator. I dove with both tank valves open but I have the isolator blocked-in. I am wondering if this is the way to dive doubles or if I should leave the isolator open.

Michael

The only time the isolator should ever be closed is during a valve drill or a real gas loss situation. Otherwise, always open.

May I add a question?
If the isolator is only half way open, does it affect breathing?
If not, then are there any repercussions? Just curious.

May I add a question?
If the isolator is only half way open, does it affect breathing?
If not, then are there any repercussions? Just curious.

Kind of like breathing with a single tank valve half open

Thanks, everyone.

Open is open. The amount it is open only effect how long it take for air to equalize. I would think it would have to basically be closed to affect breathing.

The reason why it is fully open and not half open is many people forget which way to turn it when shutting it down. If it is fully open, it will only turn one way to close. This way you can prevent against mistakenly thinking it is closed when it may be open and vice versa.

If that's the real reason, what if he's so good at knowing which way is clockwise that it's just not possible to turn it in the wrong direction? (as in the person used to cut threads in a machine shop and therefore never gets it wrong)

If that's the real reason, what if he's so good at knowing which way is clockwise that it's just not possible to turn it in the wrong direction? (as in the person used to cut threads in a machine shop and therefore never gets it wrong)

Dunno - maybe if they're used to cutting threads under pressure as their air supply is rapidly disappearing. :wink:

Because no matter how good you are ... or how many time you practice it ... you're still human. And humans make mistakes ... especially when there's something stressful going on and you're trying to resolve the problem.

Would you want to bet your breathing supply on being "right" ... especially at a time when you might be very far from the surface and have a deco obligation to deal with ???

Personally, I'll take all the "help" a simple safety protocol can provide ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom