Double tanks on my BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

copter53

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So I have an Oceanic Probe Lx, and I want to know if its possible for me to configure it so as to throw two tanks on my back, if I can then how do I do it?

What valves do I use?

Also, is there a valve connector that I can use with rental tanks so I don't have to buy an actual "double tank" valve with tanks?

If its redundancy your after.. you can always look into a Pony strap and having a Pony on your back..

There used to be an adapter that could be used to put doubles on the Probe but as was already said it is not a good idea. The BC was never designed to use them and frankly have never seen one set up for them. A number of companies claim that this recreational bc or that one will allow the use of doubles. Fact is they don't do it well. They are usually not stable enough. Get a BC that is designed to be used with doubles. The question as to valves you asked has a number of answers. You need a manifold or will need to go with independent doubles. In either case you need 2 complete regs. (1st and 2nds), If independent you need 2 SPG's as well.

A valve that allowed one to use two tanks and could be changed easily was used years ago. They are no longer made to my knowledge but can still be found. Again not a good idea. Get with some divers that actually use doubles or take an intro to tech class and learn what diving doubles actually involves.

I wholeheartedly agree with the other posters. If you are interested in doubles get the right setup. I have three BP/W's. Three for single tank diving and one for doubles.

If you need more air. Better options are a bigger tank, i.e. steel. Lots more air without all the extra cost.

Yes there are adapter plates and straps that will allow you to bolt two tanks together to make independent doubles. A much simpler plan is to buy a 30 to 40 cf pony bottle and sling it under your arm. If you progress into diving doubles it is something that you can make good use of later. Dive Rite makes a rig just for sidemount diving, the Nomad.

I know I'm speaking out of ignorance, but is there no valve that I can just throw on to two tanks and then connect that valve to my regular reg setup. Thus having the air of two tanks into one computer/reg? In terms of stability I don't mind if I'm a little wobbly, I can just realign my weights and accessories.

I know I'm speaking out of ignorance, but is there no valve that I can just throw on to two tanks and then connect that valve to my regular reg setup. Thus having the air of two tanks into one computer/reg? In terms of stability I don't mind if I'm a little wobbly, I can just realign my weights and accessories.

No, No, and No.

As has been said - use a bigger tank - like a HP 3442 steel 119, if you really want more air. 120cf compared to 80cf is a lot more air.

If you want redundancy - sling a tank (30cf to 80cf Al) with it's own regulator on it.

Or you can carry a 19cf pony (with it's own reg) - attached to tank or sling it.

If you truly want truly - wait awhile - make sure you don't get yourself in too deep financially before you are ready.

But be careful about "jerry rigging" something up - especially when the homemade doubles could/would make you quite unstable. You can buy good/cheaper used equipment but don't cut corners by trying to use equipment for what it is not designed for. Seriously - this is how to drown yourself. Don't do it!

Now, you will either take the sound advice of those you wisely asked advice of - or you'll drown yourself like the poor old fool (it was sad) last summer off of our South Jetty who jerry rigged himself a crazy weight harness. It's up to you.

Yes,

The item you want is called a crossover manifold or "cheater bar". They are not made anymore though, so you would have to buy one used, and they are not a very good solution. I personally would not use one (and that's saying something) as they have some failure potentials that I wouldn't accept. They need steel bands to hold the tanks rigid and even then they can still fail easily at both ends.

An image can be found here, and it appears these guys do supply new ones(?) (item AV121):

Alpha Diving Products

We should be careful to seperate fact from opinion. The problem with saying no such device exists is that the OP may in fact stumble upon such a tool and, not having been given the straight goods the first time, use one regardless of what is later told to him. Better to be up front, say it exists, and explain why it isn't very practical.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom