Double tanks on my BC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You do just throw that cheater bar on two normally yoke valved tanks (no need to swap out valves) and a rental company would never know you did it. Not that I'm advocating using one as I don't like the failure potential but there's no need to mix up the facts. And no need to skew the conversation by the Tony Maffatone comment.

BTW, I think he was an incredible guy.

Last edited:
Another solution would be to use a Z system manifold (found here):

UTD Online Store - +1 206 321-0870 - sales@utdequipment.com

This allows two tanks to be connected to the block which then supplies one set of HP and LP hoses. It does require two first stages though.

And yet another solution is to put together a proper set of doubles...

So I have an Oceanic Probe Lx, and I want to know if its possible for me to configure it so as to throw two tanks on my back, if I can then how do I do it?

What valves do I use?

Also, is there a valve connector that I can use with rental tanks so I don't have to buy an actual "double tank" valve with tanks?

Copter,

I'm not familiar with your particular BC, but BC's often are used as a doubles platform. When I first began using doubles, I wore them with my Scubapro Stab Jacket. And one of my favorite pics from the Web is of a guy wearing manifolded Al 80's attached to a BC (SSJ, I think) and using a serious U/W camera/camcorder to record NASA or Navy divers recovering a spent Space Shuttle solid fuel booster (from STS 102) from the ocean. The pic is the last one in this PowerPoint slideshow:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ATiYYkqG1_gJQW77A&sig2=qECjcL4wSDc0CHdWpR13xw

Hope this helps,

Ronald

And yet another solution is to put together a proper set of doubles...

I was just answering the OP's question as it was asked.

The fact is yes it can be done and there is a device (or two) to do it.

My opinion is that it is not a reliable solution to his problem.

Although I don't personally like cheater bars I'm not willing to alter facts to suit my opinion.

I was just answering the OP's question as it was asked.

The fact is yes it can be done and there is a device (or two) to do it.

My opinion is that it is not a reliable solution to his problem.

Although I don't personally like cheater bars I'm not willing to alter:D facts to suit my opinion.

I didn't alter any facts. I just witheld them. :D

I respect the fact that you like to tinker with vintage gear. You seem to know it's not optimal but enjoy it nonetheless. That's cool. But the OP didn't seem to be asking about vintage gear, s/he seemed to be searching for viable options. I don't think there are any viable modern options - that is just my unsolicited opinion. I'm confident it is an informed opinion though. There are a number of good ways to dive doubles (backmount manifold, independent doubles (did I actually just say that :buggy:), sidemount) and the OP BC with some kind of throwback connecting manifold just isn't one of them. Again more opinion as opposed to facts, in case there is any lingering confusion.

Is there any reason you want to go with doubles? For redundant air, you need more air, They just look cool? I dive doubles only when the dive calls for it and not any more than I have to. You ask why? Because they SUCK anytime you are not in the water. Try straping your tanks together with a ratchet strap and then move them from your basement to the car then to the dive shop for a fill then back into the car and back to the basement. Your view on doubles may change somewhat after this exersize.

I dive doubled HP100 (Fabers) quite often, mainly for practice. I don't find that moving them around is all that difficult.

I want to dive with doubles purely because I want more air time. I understand they are heavy and whatnot. Thats why the most ideal situation is to be able to just bust out that "crossover manifold" w/e I feel like using doubles. I don't want to buy my own tank and have a 120 cu that will always be 120 cu. What if I just want to do a short dive then the 120cu will be overkill. Yet, if I am able to use two 80 cu's at the same time that would be epicality. What are the potential problems with a crossover? Is it not reliable or what?

The problem with the crossover is that it creates two failure points at the tank o-rings.
The temporary bands that you would likely use to hold the tanks have just enough flex to allow the crossover bar to flex creating an o-ring extrusion. If you do this either bolt on a set of manifolded doubles or dive them as independents. Also you never said what size bc but a large only has about 40 lbs lift so stay away from big steels like doubling your 120

Randy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom