Double Wall Cayman Brac

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We should not assume age is the culprit here. I have run and skied,both cross-country and downhill, with people in their late 70's and early 80's who put most 40 year olds to shame. I think waiting for the results of the investigation would be wise. Bad gas, OOA, rapid ascent, equipment failure all may still apply... I plan on diving well into my 80's... (Only about 40 more years to go...)

I can't think of a better way to go.

I can. I'm hoping to try old age while peacefully asleep in my bed.

Bill Lawson has been on many a dive trip with me. He was a very safe diver. The group he was with is from Tampa, FL and they were diving with Reef Divers on Cayman Brac, a very professional and safe dive shop.

We should not assume age is the culprit here. I have run and skied,both cross-country and downhill, with people in their late 70's and early 80's who put most 40 year olds to shame. I think waiting for the results of the investigation would be wise. Bad gas, OOA, rapid ascent, equipment failure all may still apply... I plan on diving well into my 80's... (Only about 40 more years to go...)

Indeed. We have seen many reports in the news about Sudden Cardiac Death which strikes many healthy, young, fit athletes in their prime. My wife's brother in law, a former US Marine in his late 20's died in his sleep one night from it. The doctors at Emory's Cardiac center said that one of the main symptoms of SCD is death. Sounds morose but it's true- unless you have a reason to suspect it or test for it, and it can have many causes- you don't know you have it until you're in a crisis event. So "tanks" is right- speculation (which here is a violation of the board's TOS) is futile.

My wife and I have been dedicated Sister Island divers for over a decade and started in our early 30's. Next to the dive crew, we've certainly been the youngest people on those boats. We've been with some of the best divers anywhere on those trips- and they were certainly in retirement age. Hell, go to Pirate's Point for dinner a few nights and you'll see a who's who of "famous" divers. Not too many in their 30's. I've come to view divers as I do airline pilots: being older with lots of experience is more reassuring (to me) than young and brash.

I'm losing track of dead.... There is ANOTHER dead elderly diver on Little Cayman. It's 8 so far this year. Maybe the elderly divers better avoid the Caymans for a while, who wants to be #9?

Cayman Islands News

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom