Double wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i am thinking of getting the Dive Rite Classic wings (59 lbs lift) to use with
my upcoming doubles set up.

any reasons why i should stay away from these?

thanks for the on-going info

i am thinking LP 85's

I have no really useful advice to offer here, I was asking for clarification for everyone else.. but I will say that choice of wing should be dependent on which type of tanks you will use them with, obviously.

per their description, the Classics will handle up to 130's

i am asking to see if anyone has any experience with them, good, bad, etc.
that would affect my decision

H2Andy:

How much can you afford to spend on multiple sets of wings and what types of dives will you being doing in the next three years? While I am a firm believer in not having excessively large wings and matching them to the tanks I am diving, my old DR classics don't really cut it in full 104s (without HE in them) with even a single stage. Of course, mine are true classics so the amount of actual (not advertised) lift may have changed. Also, the old DR wings required more "upgrading" (i.e. innertube lining that futher reduces lift) than say a newer Halcyon wing to be robust enough. That may have changed as well though.

If this is for cave diving, consider stepping up to 104s rather than the 85s. I am a small guy and 104s suck, but it is what you will in all likelihood end up wanting long term.

H2Andy:

Andy,

Have you chosen an instructor for your Apprentice and Full Cave? If you have you would probably be best served by asking him or her.

Personally I have and use an Abyss double bladder 55 lb lift wing, I also have a single bladder version of the same wing. Currently I dive wet, but eventually I plan on getting a dry suit. Lots of people have strong opinions about double wings, these opinions are on both sides of the issue. As you can see by my use of the double bladder wing I think it is appropriate for use when diving wet. I have used this wing with large double steel tanks. I use it with a Deep Sea Supply Kydex plate. For me this combination works fine. I have also used a wing from a different manufacturer that was rated with 55 lbs lift and a steel plate, this combination proved barely adequate at 100 feet in fresh water. This highlights the differences in advertised lift more than anything else. with the Abyss wing at 100 feet using the plastic plate the wing was not full, nor was it even close. The only difference in gear was the plate and wing, if anything when using the Abyss wing I had more reels, but three jump reels do not weigh that much.

When I was shopping for a wing I looked at the Dive Rite, but I found a great deal on the Abyss and saved some serious cash. Unfortunately for you I got the last two wings the shop had. You could try contacting Joel at Tech Diving Limited to see if he has any of the Abyss wings, although Joel and TDL was not where I got mine.

As far as using a double bladder wing, you could choose to run the hose and secure it to the inflator with a piece of innertube while leaving it disconnected, or connect the fitting. The choice is yours. In a cave the danger of a runaway ascent due to the backup inflator filling the backup bladder are mitigated at least somewhat by the cave ceiling. There are still hazards, just different ones.

The Dive Rite wing was the one I was going to get until I found the deal on the Abyss.

Best of luck on all of your gear choices.

Mark Vlahos

RTodd and Mark:

basically, i plan to take the apprentice and full cave courses in the next two years,
while doing "easy" dives within those categories.

i broke my L1 vertebrae, so any serious weight in terms of doubles is really out
of the question for me for at least that long. i just want to do easy dives within
those categories and get better at my diving.

i am leaving the multi-stage, hard-core, deep penetration dives for you younger
guys.

hence me going with LP 85's

is the Halcyon really that much better? i am also getting the double tank set-up,
so cash is not exactly flowing right now

Hey Andy, I use the Dive Rite classic wing with a set of doubled up LP95's. Works great. I did go with the shorter 12" inflator and a plain elbow (no pull dump on the inflator).

Jason

H2Andy:
RTodd and Mark:

is the Halcyon really that much better? i am also getting the double tank set-up,
so cash is not exactly flowing right now

With a back issue, you probably want to wheel everything to the water and put it on there. (I would just to be on the safe side.) In that case, 104s aren't really any different, but I understand your issue.

In general, the Halcyon's really are better. I have two sets of DR classics and maybe a half dozen different Halcyon wings. They both wear, Halcyon just does it a little more gracefully. While Halcyon does have its own issues, Halcyon exists because no one else was making what many of us consider the "right" equipment. The layout and construction of their wing is an example. Part of the price difference is better materials and part is differences in the marketing/ comparitive costs structures of the two companies. Your call on which one to get. I have no problem using my DR wings when appropriate, but prefer the Halcyon ones. For what you intend to do, the lift on either should be fine. Just make sure to line the DR ones with inner tube if you get those. You may also need to replace the length of the DR corrugated hoses.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom