Double wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
is the Halcyon really that much better?

Yes. The Halcyon wing has the cordura cover that has acces to the inner bladder. The inflator is much better and it's just generally "tougher" for a few extra bucks I'd go that route (actually I did, I own the 40 and the 55) Check E Bay or the classified here on the board. Heck post a WTB.

Also, the shorter inflator hose is actually pretty easy to use. Once you get the hang of it you'll be happy you don't have a long hose dangeling around...especially in a cave.

-Chris

The Dive Rite Classic was my first wing. It's fine for 85's. I just bought two more - my wife just found them in the garage so there was some discussion about why I need a garage full of tanks. One of the less pleasant aspects of married life.
If you really look around, you can find a used Classic pretty cheap. I would have traded my Classic for your Venture if I had known you were looking. Oh well.
A lot of people might think the 104's are better for caving - and yes, they are. The 121's are better. However, you will KILL your back with anything more than 85's.
And here's a nasty little secret if you ever get a compressor - you can pump twin little baby steel 66's up to 5000psi and have 250 cubic feet of gas on your back.
This violates every law of safe diving and anyone doing this, advocating it, or even thinking about it should lose their divers license. I only mention this to try to identify the type of crazed maniac who would ever consider this.
There are a few of these maniacs loose diving like this. Scary...

I made many dives on my DiveRite Classic, most being in 104s with stages, and have nothing but good to say for it. Replaced it with a Halcyon because I got a great price on it and wanted a back-up. Recently sold my DR Classic (to a happy new owner) because I bought the DR Rec to use for singles and can be used as my doubles back-up if it needs to.

So the Classic is now with its third pleased owner. I highly recommend it!

theskull

CALI68:
Yes. The Halcyon wing has the cordura cover that has acces to the inner bladder.
-Chris

As does the DR Classic.

I do agree on the shorter 12 in corrugated inflator hose. Highly recommend.

Jason

decisions, decisions...

thanks all for the info...

i think what's tipping the scales is that if i buy Halcyon, i will be supporting my "local" dive shop (Extreme Exposure, in High Springs)...

i think their service so far deserves the extra $50.00 i would pay

Andy, if you end up getting the Halcyon I claim the right of "buddy privilege", & will be temporarily trading wings with you whenever we happen to be diving doubles together. Then if I like the Halcyon better & if you like the DR Classic better (and maybe even if you don't), we will trade permanently.

ah... well....

why do i not like this scenario?

:wink:

I've had a set of Classic wings for a bit over 2 years now, they're somewhat worn and discolored but still work great, I've had zero issues with them from day 1.

You need to match your wing with your tanks, I personally believe the size (as long as it's adequate) is less important then how the lift is distributed. Halcyon wings are the shortest and fattest, Classics next, then Oxycheq (slimmer) and Seatec (fat-ish at the bottom). This will effect how the setup trims out and swims. Lay the wings over your tanks and see how the lift is distributed and if they match. Also, adjustment is nice, Classics and Oxycheq have 3 sets of holes, Seatecs have none (burn/gromet your own), Halcyons have one.

Hey Andy
Regarding lift, I have been surprised how little is actually needed. I have a Halcyon Explorer 40 wing because I mostly dive double AL80s. Recently, I dove double steel 130s with two stages (and drysuit) and was wondering if I would float. The lift was totally adequate, shoulders out of the water at the surface. Not having done any calculations beforehand, I was surprised...

I suppose the 55 is a good all around wing, and I'd hesitate to go bigger, especially since you indicated not wanting to carry too much weight...(injury from bike acident?)

Didn't know that about the Halcyon wing (only one hole). I have to put my Classic on the bottom hole which puts the wing closer to my head to correct a head heavy trim problem with every set of tanks that I have tried so far. So Andy, don't freak out if I break out a large nail & a torch & commence to operating on your wing.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom