Doubles - BM vs SideMount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubamask

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Going to be doing doubles this spring but having trouble deciding whether to approach it BM or Side. Seems to be mostly a personal preference or comfort decision, but thought I'd ask if there is a DIR recommendation on this.

It seems that the ability to use either or both tanks when one regulator fails would be an advantage to BM - but I don't see any DIR guidelines specifically addressing this issue.

Thanks from a relative newbie ...

Hi scubamask,

In DIR diving, we don't use sidemount tanks. You're correct on the advantage of being able to easily access all the gas in case of regulator failure. Sm also presents additional challenges in regards to gas switching through the dive.

It may not be endorsed by DIR, but unless you plan on diving in the DIR cult it should not be a big issue. Tech certs, overhead, cave etc have no issue with you going sidemount. DIR guys still carry bottles for deco, stage, travel, bailout etc on their sides with their doubles... they just do not call it sidemounting. In sidemount caving it is actually bad to have a hard plate on your back as theory states it could actually wedge you in a tight spot.

One thing to consider is that if you loose an oring, hp hose etc on a cylinder and you cannot feather it you basically have 1/2 the gas; a manifold would let you isolate the post and still use the gas in the tank.

Since we're in the DIR forum...

And we don't wear bottles on our sides. They all go on the left side, to be totally accurate.

It may not be endorsed by DIR, but unless you plan on diving in the DIR cult it should not be a big issue. Tech certs, overhead, cave etc have no issue with you going sidemount. DIR guys still carry bottles for deco, stage, travel, bailout etc on their sides with their doubles... they just do not call it sidemounting. In sidemount caving it is actually bad to have a hard plate on your back as theory states it could actually wedge you in a tight spot.

One thing to consider is that if you loose an oring, hp hose etc on a cylinder and you cannot feather it you basically have 1/2 the gas; a manifold would let you isolate the post and still use the gas in the tank.

this is the DIR forum.
sidemount is fine. but it's not DIR

I'm not DIR but I've come dangerously close a few times, and who knows what the future will hold.

I know some DIR divers have used sidemount before. What do you call a DIR diver in sidemount?

Can a sidemount diver become a DIR diver?

But I do agree. If you want to dive DIR, dive in backmount, and don't complain. If you want to dive sidemount then don't dive DIR. We have a sidemount forum for you :) no need to question the DIR choice or be nasty about it.

skanpile, what was the last comment for? I see no attitude given at all towards you.

I used to be a DIR diver. I still follow much of the philosophy, and I agree with it. However, sometimes you need different equipment and side mount is necassary. I have chosen to take up sidemount. UTD claims to be a DIR sidemount company. I do have their wing, but I do not follow their gas block idea. I prefer two seperate tanks, not some connected by a LP hose and distribution block. Maybe you can check with UTD and talk to the folks out there. Whenever I have talked to them, they have all been very nice.

I no longer consider myself DIR, becuase I don't follow all of the practices. If you saw me in BM, singles or doubles, you would think that I was DIR.

No disrespect at all towards any DIR diver, it is a great philosophy IMO, I just don't follow it 100% now.

I am sure I will get flamed in some way by someone for this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom