Doubles - BM vs SideMount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are no DIR divers, only DIR dives.

My advice would be to do doubles initially, then add sidemount to your bag of tricks for situations that benefit from it.

actually states he AG has moved beyond DIR with his UTD schools of thought to unificication, - theres a thread on the sidemount forum about it which he expains it and the reasoning behind the thingamajigee.

worthwile to note that this configuration just mimis the backmount config minus the backgas. Its not what we see today in sidemount, and that article is about it for DIR sidemount. At least the way i read it anyway.

That article is probably best ignored. What goes on in the Wakulla basin in regards to "sidemount" is completely different than real SM diving.

That article is probably best ignored. What goes on in the Wakulla basin in regards to "sidemount" is completely different than real SM diving.

And to think, I used to believe his crap. I have seen someone diving a SM rig as he described, his profile was just as wide as me in doubles when you account for the stages hanging low in front, and the wing tacoing.

I think AG has it figured out. Even though I do not choose to use the gas block, he has a sidemount configuration that mimics a typical DIR backmount configuration down much better then anyone else IMO.

Ya, that described SM rig is best as a deco harness on long dives that involve a habitat.

Personally, I think steve boegarts's system is pretty slick. AGs thing is a shoehorn attempt.

agreed - GIs rig is a deco rig primarly. Different situation. Still going with the no DIR in sidemount thing though on this forum.

Still going with the no DIR in sidemount thing though on this forum.

Yup. Every system has its limitations. DIR isn't designed for SM caves, just as SM has its shortcomings on some longer range deep cave diving.

Right tool for the job.

I thought that DIR ultimately represented principles that should/could be applied to every dive?

Is it really a just a 'tool in the box'... or have people just become too intransigent to apply principles, rather than just preach strict dogma?

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom