Doubles Tanks Must Have Same Height???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you're being too hard on his LDS. When I order Worthington cylinders from SeaPearls (leadking), I'm always asked if they are going to be doubled. If so, they do their best to match tank lengths. However, I doubt they are matching to thousandth's of an inch. Hopefully, Leadking will see this thread and clarify the reasons.

There is no additional fee for matching cylinders.

:))

How much was the special order charge?

You guys are quick to discuss something you don't know too much about.

AL cylinders do have almost identical external dimensions, so no special matching is needed. But Steel cylinders can vary somewhat and "matching" is recommended.

From the horse's mouth, so to speak:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2398892&postcount=35

Now that said, I have two "unmatched" sets of steel doubles and haven't had any issues with them.

yes, of course matching is recommended

but close enough is close enough. if the maniflod sets and holds ok, a few tenths of an inch is not going to break it. you can eyeball it fine.

do i want two tanks an inch in difference? of course not

xiSkiGuy:
You guys are quick to discuss something you don't know too much about.

lol ... you obviously don't know the history of a few people who gave their answers

let me just say i'd take anything they say diving-wise to the bank

I'm ganna have to check this out when i pick up my x7-100's next weekend. They were ordered a week apart , doubt i'll have a problem.

H2Andy:
lol ... you obviously don't know the history of a few people who gave their answers

let me just say i'd take anything they say diving-wise to the bank
I'm very aware of the history of the few people you are referring to and I would usually take what they say to the bank, as well.

However, just because they are ignorant of Seapearls recommendations in this case, doesn't make the OP's LDS wrong.

xiSkiGuy:
However, just because they are ignorant of Seapearls recommendations in this case, doesn't make the OP's LDS wrong.

see, there you go again ...

you're assuming quite a lot, and yet feel confident to say people don't know what they're talking about ...

ok ... your perrogative

H2Andy:
see, there you go again ...

you're assuming quite a lot, and yet feel confident to say people don't know what they're talking about ...

ok ... your perrogative
Perhaps I'm not being clear. I'm not saying that close enough probably isn't good enough. I am saying that the following quotes are inaccurate:

(I don't dive doubles, but never heard of the special-factory-order line before -- something smells fishy. Same basic size/height is one thing, but special factory order?)
You are dealing with a typical shop monkey. He's an idiot, find another store.
Do you have to request same tanks heights from the factory? No. Tanks are molded from molten metals. Just buy two tanks the same vendor and model.
There is no 'special order' from factories as far as I know on standard tanks to match tanks up. Special orders usually are for tanks that are out of stock, older models etc.
Let me guess.... the shop will charge extra for ordering special matching tanks.

I've gotten PST tanks that were quit a bit different in length when we had a shop. It's been a long time and I don't remember how far off they were but it was far enough that I didn't want to double them up. It only happened to us once or twice but it happened.

I don't know the manufacturing process, tolerances or what the X bar & R looks like but if I intend to double them, I prefer to order them at the same time in the hopes they are from the same run.

xiSkiGuy:
Perhaps I'm not being clear. I'm not saying that close enough probably isn't good enough. I am saying that the following quotes are inaccurate:

well, i wasn't being clear either ... i didn't identify which people i meant

certainly, i don't defend some of the statements made. tanks should be close in dimensions to be doubled up

but it doesnt have to be to the millimeter, which is what the shop guy was stating

sounded like a scheme to charge more. i think most of us are aware that tanks should match pretty closely, but it's not rocket science

the tanks don't have to be "exactly the same size." that's what he was told. that is not accurate.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom