Doubles, Weight and Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So lets expand this a little. Different issue.

I have my doubles broken down and ready for Hydro.
My dilemma, they are O2 clean for Nitrox only right now.
I rarely dive below 130 but it is on occasion a possibility and in the future a probability as there are several dive I want to do as well as take a local deep and Deco course

I am thinking that I want to go Air Only right now and bag Nitrox for the doubles.

Thoughts?

Just air in doubles is a little silly no? I mean carrying all that gas and having a reduced no deco time is counter-productive.

If you are not yet doing deco dives with them but still choose to dive doubles in OW you should at a minimum have them cleaned for the type of nitrox pumped. membrane or continous blend does not necessarily require O2 cleaning. Partial pressure blending does. They will not be O2 clean when they return from hydro.

That is what I thought.

Makes sense, they have a Nitrox Only sticker. I was also told when I bought them they were O2 Clean. Personally, I could care less, where I fill them comes from a bank so the clean issue is mute and I would buy the stock 32% if I did use Nitrox.

Some day in the future this might change but I don't see a need for anything other than 32% or 21% for at least 2 years in these tanks

OK. That makes sense.

They were O2 clean when you bought them.

They became "Not O2 Clean" the first time you got a fill from anyplace that didn't use hyperfiltered air.

If the shop you're using banks 32, your tanks may or may not be O2 clean at this point, but it doesn't really matter since they're directly filling with 32%.

"Nitrox Only" doesn't really mean anything and is just a sticker.

Have fun!

Terry

Got yourself in a pickle again? Your consistent level of doofus advice and ridiculous defense allows us a lens into your world of invented diving. Little wonder you choose to dive alone.

I can only hope you add me to your "ignore" list. It would be an honor and I'd be in distinguished company. On a purely entertainment level bordering on the inane - I'll occasionally glance at your posts to get a laugh.

X

Granted, as you wish. This also saves me time from seeing your own dufus remarks as well. Quid pro quo.

So I drop the ditchable weight so I can float up to the ceiling of the cave 2000 ft back. How exactly is that a good thing? Most cave divers that I know do not wear ditchable weight. Won't help much in the caves, and I can pretty much crawl up to the surface in a catastrophic failure of both wing and dry suit. Plus, I'm already negative with a pair of steel tanks even when they are empty. So I drop the ditchable weight et voila...I'm still negative. So I guess all of these cave divers are dangerous and negligent. :shakehead:

1) not everyone dives in caves; some prefer the open water, and you definitely cannot crawl your way off the bottom of the sea;

2) cave diving requires different protocols;

3) cave divers who think their cave protocols are adequate for open water diving are grossly mistaken. [This is one of the several fundamental flaws of GUE-DIR procedure.]

Granted, as you wish. This also saves me time from seeing your own dufus remarks as well. Quid pro quo.

Where's the love?

As always. A class act to the end.

So lets expand this a little. Different issue.

I have my doubles broken down and ready for Hydro.
My dilemma, they are O2 clean for Nitrox only right now.
I rarely dive below 130 but it is on occasion a possibility and in the future a probability as there are several dive I want to do as well as take a local deep and Deco course

I am thinking that I want to go Air Only right now and bag Nitrox for the doubles.

Thoughts?

Air (21% O2, 78% N2, 0.9% Ar, 0.1% other) is a great mix for shallow dives of 50 ft or less, and for scrubbing boat bottoms.

Deeper than 50 fsw, you should be diving nitrox. The best mix for diving in the range of 50 to 100 fsw is EAN 36, although EAN 32 is also a popular mix.

For diving in the range of 100 fsw to 150, I like TMX 25/35.

For 150 fsw to 200, I like TMX 20/40.

For 200 fsw to 250, I like TMX 15/50.

For 250 fsw to 350, I like TMX 10/70.

That is the range of the deep mixes that I have found works best for me, deep here having the meaning of anything more than 50 fsw.

I agree, that it makes little sense to use air as a mix for twin tanks, other than for really shallow work.

1) not everyone dives in caves; some prefer the open water, and you definitely cannot crawl your way off the bottom of the sea;

3) cave divers who think their cave protocols are adequate for open water diving are grossly mistaken. [This is one of the several fundamental flaws of GUE-DIR procedure.]
WRONG. DIR was not developed for cave diving, this has been discussed over and over and over again. JJ has said this, GI3 has stated this, and their DIR dvd's state this as well.......and let's not forget about the Britannic project. I have zero DIR/GUE training and have no financial interest in their program, so it's not like bashing DIR/GUE effects me in any way, feel free to do it, but use facts for once. It's been stated over and over that the purpose of DIR is to be the best system for a range of diving, not necessarily the best for every dive.

An overhead is an overhead, be it deco or a cave ceiling. My drysuit will get me out of the cave just as well as it will pick me up off the ground in OW.

If you want to bash DIR and GUE, go for it. If you want to bash NSS-CDS/NACD/GUE/IANTD/TDI/NAUI/PADI….go for it, but don’t MAKE UP facts, and stop being an ostrich and sticking your head in the sand when you get called out for being wrong...when you do that, it makes those of us who might actually want to have an educated discussion about DIR vs non DIR all look like people just looking to flame!

1)Agreed, but if you are already negative with double steel tanks, adding ditchable weight does nothing to help you in the sea or in the cave. That's why things like redundant buoyancy from dry suit, lift bag, etc become important.

2) Agreed, but your statement that those without ditchable weight are unsafe and dangerous has no bearing on cave diving. Which leads to.....

3) You've got it backwards...those who think their open water protocols are adequate for cave diving are grossly mistaken.

Dude, you're giving people who dislike DIR/GUE a bad name.

Can you please PM me your real name? I want to make sure we're not in the same ocean at the same time, because I find the idea that you purport to know what you're talking about deeply disturbing.

Dude, you're giving people who dislike DIR/GUE a bad name.

Can you please PM me your real name? I want to make sure we're not in the same ocean at the same time, because I find the idea that you purport to know what you're talking about deeply disturbing.

With under 99 dives to your credit, that is unlikely. So don't worry be happy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom