Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

teknitroxdiver:
I hadn't really thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion. I hate to put my wing through the chlorine torture but I guess the pool will be the first stop.

As I wrote in my post (and others also suggested), a first dive from the shore of a lake is fine. The idea is to make certain you are not immediately in water, literally, over your head.

Yes there are some lakes relatively close and I have a quarry a couple hundred yards away from me on my farm. But the only 'shallow' spot is quicksand....that could get messy real fast.

Get a buddy to dive with you at your 'quarry' when you go to see if it is suitable for diving. If you don't know what lies in the depths, like entaglement hazards, etc etc...having an extra pair of eyes, hands, and air source is never a bad idea. :)

jason

Hmmmm... Im thinking that diving in this "quarry" with a brand new set of doubles is NOT a good idea. DO NOT go into this "quarry" on your first dive with this setup. Listen to what others have told you (very good advice so far, BTW). Try this new setup in a pool or shallow lake first (ideally, an area where you have DOVE before, not someplace that you are not familiar with). Doubles can be overwhelming to some people on the first try. You want to be with someone you trust, and in a familiar dive site. Good Luck. This may sound like overdramatizing this scenario, but I can see the headlines: SOLO DIVER DIES IN FARM QUARRY WITH DOUBLES. I dont want to see that...

wow at 15 years of age i wouldn't think this would
be a good idea. i think doubles training from a instructor
should be your first step . if you can find one who will
take on someone of your age.

divercooke:
wow at 15 years of age i wouldn't think this would
be a good idea. i think doubles training from a instructor
should be your first step . if you can find one who will
take on someone of your age.

HOLY CRAP!!! I didnt even check his profile... he is 15 (according to his profile). I agree with the above statements, and PLEASE heed what I said earlier. Its not a good idea at any age to be doing solo dives with new equipment in a new body of water...

Don't worry...I won't be doing doubles for a while, and by then I'll either know the quarry pretty good or will have decided to practice at the lake. Most likely the lake option.

Well, here's an update on the quarry. I went diving in it a bit ago with my sister, and after that dive, I figure I'll stick with the lake. Vis was about 3 feet, murky brown, not the place I would want to be while learning major new gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom