Doubles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only problem I can really warn you about with doubles, other than getting them inand out of the water, is that you may feel inlined to push closer to the edge than you were before.

No need to worry about about deco, I've got more air!
I can dive solo, I've got doubles!

Those are two big thoughts that may occur to you that can get you killed. Remember plan your dive, dive your plan.

matt_unique:
That is a fact! On my boat I roll out of the rig, tie it off to the trail line, climb out sans gear, then lift rig aboard from the swim platform. The ladder required to walk out with rig on was more intrusive into my hull than I wanted.

When I pick up singles now it takes me a moment to realize why they are so light.

--Matt

I am relieved to know there will be an easy method of re-entering your boat.

It looks like the replies have it pretty well covered.

One thing I would add is to not dive them with a 30 pound wing or something like that. Doubles can be very negative at the beginning of a dive, you don't want to plunge to the bottom.

Enjoy,

TT :wink:

Right-o on the wing. I'll be getting at least a 45-pounder, and until I go dry I will only be diving aluminum.

teknitroxdiver:
practicing in the quarry on my farm. This weekend I plan to 'survey' the quarry and see how suitable for diving it will be. I think it is about 60' deep, but I don't know how much cow 'waste' is in it.
But having been a dairy farmer I do know about manure pits.

Wouldn't really want to dive in one.

{Pipedope wouldn't have even found this thread... but having mention the words *manure pit* he should be along any minute to tell us how that is his favorite place to dive. :D}

teknitroxdiver:
Right-o on the wing. I'll be getting at least a 45-pounder, and until I go dry I will only be diving aluminum.

If you're diving big steel and coldwater, you need a 55lb.

MD

teknitroxdiver:

Whatever you do ... do not assemble your doubles rig and step into water that is too deep to stand up and breathe. Step into the shallow end of a pool or walk in from shore.

Believe it or not, I once overheard someone state "I've never used this rig before." His "rig" consisted of heavy steel doubles with backplate/wing and a wetsuit. His first step was into about 100ft of water.

You must make certain you can reach everything and are not viciously overweighted, etc.

Dive well. Dive safe.

G_M

Green_Manelishi:
Believe it or not, I once overheard someone state "I've never used this rig before." His "rig" consisted of heavy steel doubles with backplate/wing and a wetsuit. His first step was into about 100ft of water.

You must make certain you can reach everything and are not viciously overweighted, etc.

Dive well. Dive safe.

G_M

LOL, I can just see that descent. He didn't use much air on the way down did he?

My first dive in any new gear, and I do not care if it's just a flashlight, is in a swimming pool at the 5 foot mark. I'll quickly take it to the twelve foot area, but I think you understand what I am saying.

I hadn't really thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion. I hate to put my wing through the chlorine torture but I guess the pool will be the first stop.

Is there a quarry or lake local to you? A local lake would allow you to wade in to a desired depth, check out your rig and play with it a bit. I realize that the rig will be heavy to carry on your back for a wade, but you may have a lake with a relatively short wade to a drop off point.

No chlorine torture required! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom