Dove of small boat, didn't drown.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishy8411

Contributor
Reaction score
Well we didn’t drown. It was choppy this weekend on Lake Huron, 3 to 5 foot waves. My boat is a 13 foot (1976) Boston Whaler. It is fairly small and for two of us to struggle into our dry suits, was a trick. I got the boat as a gift, the previous owner didn’t like the trade-in offers he was receiving and just gave it to me. But…, I think the boat tends to ride low in the water, some have mentioned the possibility that the floatation material might be water logged. Does anyone have any information about such a condition and a possible fix.

As I mentioned, the boat is small (especially for Lake Huron). I have a mint 2001 Mercury, 4 stroke - 30 HP outboard. I am thinking (maybe) I could buy a good, used 16 to 18 foot boat (sans motor). Problem is, I don’t have a clue about what to look for in a good used boat. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Tom

PS. It was a really good thing that I tied the ladder to the boat, thanks for the advice.

Fishy8411:
I think the boat tends to ride low in the water, some have mentioned the possibility that the floatation material might be water logged. Does anyone have any information about such a condition and a possible fix.

Those whalers are foam filled. Down in the islands we regularly use BW's that old (and older). It's more likely that you were close to rated capacity. Besides - the smaller whalers always seem to ride high.

BTW - you took a giant risk taking a small boat out in weather like that. In an absolute emergency I might take my 21' out in 5 foot waves but never to dive.

Fishy8411:
Problem is, I don’t have a clue about what to look for in a good used boat. Any advice would be most appreciated.

Start by examining the hull. Has it been painted? Are their blisters? Look for pieces that are missing. Look for cracks in the hull and on the transom. Look to see if the scuppers are in place. Examine the gas tank - if it's a center console and it uses a larger tank, these can sometime crack. Examine the wheel and wheel housing. If the boat comes with electronics, make sure they work. Ask what the boat is made of...

If the boat comes with an engine, examine the prop for damage and have a mechanic take a look at it. If the boat has been in saltwater, look for the sacrificial anode... if it's missing or severely worn that might be an indication that the engine won't last long.

There is A LOT to look at - including the price of comparable boats on the market.

Whalers can absorb water if they are left in the water
long-term. Two divers and gear aren't going to load a
13' to capacity.

Got a Whaler: http://continuouswave.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi?action=intro
has a LOT of serious whaler owners there. Do your
homework about waterlogging. Look for a fun couple or
three threads titled "Chainsaw Whaler". They took a
REALLY waterlogged 13' (it had been neglected for like
10 years) and cut it in half. BTW, it would still float
with a couple of guys in it.

Put on the drysuits on dry land. I do, and I have 17'
Whaler. The only exception is the VERY RARE hot day
in Monterey, then I leave it off above the waist.

Don't need to ask what it's made of: Essentially all Whalers
are Fibreglass (there were a VERY few aluminum ones, but
they were a good bit bigger, and there were some inflatables)..

zboss:
BTW - you took a giant risk taking a small boat out in weather like that. In an absolute emergency I might take my 21' out in 5 foot waves but never to dive.

Most of the waves were in the 3 foot range, though there were some over four. I called the local port (the previous night ) and they expected waves of about 1 foot, close to shore there were barely any ripples. But...., after getting out a few miles. I don't plan on diving those conditions again, on my boat, too much work. Worse part was getting back in the boat. The boat itself seemed to handle the conditions with ease, but I had to run the water pump a bit.

Tom

Depends on the waves. I've had my 17' whaler out in 12'
swells, no problem (though the diving was really surgy).
With the long interval, the boat just rides up and over.
But 2' waves on a four second interval would be intolerable.

Rather than calling the marina, find the National
Weather Service Coastal and Marine forecast for your
area. Start at http://www.noaa.gov and drill down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom