Downloading video from Go Pro on vacation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbatts2002

Registered
Reaction score
I just got a new Hero 3 black for Christmas - awesome present. I'm going to pick up a 64 GB MicroSD, an SRP red filter, and a grenade grip. I know that lights would be a nice add-on, lcd bacpac, tray, etc., but I just want a simple rig for now. So with simplicity in mind, how do you suggest I manage downloading the video while on vacation? Do I need to bring a laptop? Can I somehow drop it directly into a portable hard drive? How do y'all manage your video over multiple dives? Thanks for your advice!

I bought a memory card reader for our tablet to download them to while on vacation. On a 10 dive vacation I collected just a hair under 60GB, bring multiple cards cause you might need them. especially if one fails.

I bought a memory card reader for our tablet to download them to while on vacation. On a 10 dive vacation I collected just a hair under 60GB, bring multiple cards cause you might need them. especially if one fails.

I have a 64GB card but I thought that would get filled up pretty quickly (2 tanks). I have the SD adapter for my iPad, but I don't think it can handle 64GB. Are most people bringing laptops with them to download the footage?

Laptops, Tablets or Memory cards are the way to go. I brought the Tablet (16GB) and 3 memory cards at 32GB each.
2 Tanks is probably 5 to 7GB assuming your recording the whole dive like me. Also I was recording 720P@60fps as Rocky here suggests and its great!

Now try a week on a live-aboard boat, I'll average 20-25 dives over a week. Last trip was 19 hours of raw data shooting at 720-60 fps gets big file size FAST.

I highly suggest a small travel laptop, and a 1-2 Terabyte USB hard-drive.

I use a laptop and 1 terrabyte portable tough rubberized HDD, portable drives are prone to breaking so better off spending that little bit extra to get one that is shock proof and less likely that you will lose all your data. My next trip I would really like not to have to bring a laptop as all I need it for is to transfer from SD's to the external drive but a few weeks shooting 45Mbps protune footage will be taking up a lot of storage. Id ideally also use 2 drives for a backup in case one gets damaged so I dont lose footage but need to limit weight and gear. I may skip the laptop and just borrow a friends who said is bringing his along as I dont need to bring one beyond transfering and possibly having a quick look at footage to see if I need to delete any if stoage is running low by the end of my trip.

A couple of flights I will be on have very strict weight requirements and so any weight over 10KG may cause the luggage to get held back to the next flight that allows it even after paying for excess baggage. The problem of traveling to less accessible places is you need to travel light and I will have 2 cameras some accessories, some dive gear and some clothes. Packing will be tight and its just the smaller prop plane internal flights that are going to be a problem.

Marty that sounds like fun, don't forget to do a test download on your friends laptop before you decide not to bring your own storage. I have been bitten more then once by technology lol

Netbook and external HDD as back up. Do not shoot the whole dive, only shoot what is interesting. It is boring to look at video when nothing is happening. We end up typically with 10 mins at the most from a 60 minute dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom