Downsides of being cheap, sharing examples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bubblesong

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
We all want the best value for our money, but over years of diving and reading Scubaboard, I can think of so many times cheapness leads to a net total negative, and even danger and death.

My example is I did not want to face not fitting my wetsuit, did not want to pay for another one. However, squeezing into a suit two sizes too small for TWO YEARS(!) was making me miserable-why the heck did I wait so long? Cheap cheap cheap.

I have a buddy that went real cheap on lodging despite multiple reviews mentioning the place was a dump and had bedbugs. His response - "well, you can't really trust online reviews". Whole family got bedbugs.

We all want the best value for our money, but over years of diving and reading Scubaboard, I can think of so many times cheapness leads to a net total negative, and even danger and death.

My example is I did not want to face not fitting my wetsuit, did not want to pay for another one. However, squeezing into a suit two sizes too small for TWO YEARS(!) was making me miserable-why the heck did I wait so long? Cheap cheap cheap.
"Cheap sh*t ain't cool, and cool sh*t ain't cheap!" - That chick on Yellowstone, 2021

I have been amazed at how cheap divers are in general. It's not a cheap sport, so I get the feeling like one has already paid a lot, but fer crying out loud!

Cheap alternate 2nd stages (octos). That should be at least as good or better than your primary 2nd. The upgrade to a solid 2nd stage is small.

Buying online to save a couple bucks. Especially for gear where fit is an issue. I'd much rather try on 5 wetsuits and get one that fits than save $100 online.

Cheap excursions. Why do you think there are almost no dive boats left in Monterey? People pay $200 for a two-tank dive in Hawai'i, should Monterey be any cheaper?

Training. There have been a number of posts with people asking about the cheapest OW course.

I’ve seen people want to cheap out on stuff that seemed weird at the time, but I can’t remember the specifics.

Training. There have been a number of posts with people asking about the cheapest OW course.

I’ve seen people want to cheap out on stuff that seemed weird at the time, but I can’t remember the specifics.
I would like to inquire about the cheapest bungee available for the upcoming base jumping event, no, I know nothing of the sport why do you ask lol?

Using a bicycle pump to partially inflate cylinders from shops that charge per cubic foot. (I kid, I kid)

I see it all the time in aviation repairs. New guys think they're saving money buying low cost tools but then they break or wear down and need to be replaced. Do that twice and you have more than the cost of Matco or Snap-on which give free lifetime repair and replacement. On top of that their cheap worn out tools then cause damage to the parts they're fixing. Never ending cycle, and yes I was one of them years ago. Now my son has my retired craftsman screwdrivers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom