Downsides of being cheap, sharing examples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a financial advisor decades ago when I was CFO of a high growth municipality.

His motto was “Price, Speed, Quality; Chose Two.”

I always opted for Quality as a given, and then we negotiated the other two.

There are no downsides to being cheap, if you think there are downsides, you aren't recognizing the value of character building.
When I was in my 30’s, I was a competitive distance runner (frequently top 3 in my age group).

I had a partner who wasn’t as competitive but would indulge me for training runs.

In the middle of the Summer, if I heard that there was a Heat Advisory, I’d call him right before lunch and just say: “Character Building.”

He’d meet me at the locker room and we’d knock out ten to fifteen miles.

A shower and lunch at the best local Mexican restaurant set us both up for a productive afternoon.

Whenever I think of being cheap about anything related to diving it brings to mind one of The Far Side by Gary Larson cartoons; “Don’s Discount Shark Cages.” I won’t post a copy of it here as I’d violate his ©, but if you’re not familiar with it a quick internet search should yield an apropos though comic version.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom