Downsides of being cheap, sharing examples

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I feel a little differently about teaching yourself, at least to a degree. I feel like I can get myself 90% of the way there, and then maybe have someone come in and tweak things. I like to be by myself when I'm trying new things (in shallow water). I can move some weight, try more air / less air. Maybe with someone I might learn faster... who knows. Just seems like there's a lot more certs then skills that actually need certs. That's just my take... I know if you own a shop some of those are revenue, so I get it.

Edit: I would make a horrible instructor, lol
Yeah, that wound up making fundies really painful for me, as I acquired some bad habits that were deeply ingrained. I'm not saying the same is true for you.

My one really cheap purchase was my regs and I don't regret it a bit.

I bought a matched pair of SEACs used and am STILL trying to get them overhauled, but in the meantime I bought the cheapest set off Amazon and you know what? It has gotten me in the water and able to dive when I feel like it and thatvis what matters. Once the SEACs come back I may never use them again, or I may keep them for loaners or give them to a new diver, but that $160 was so totally worth it.

Same with tanks. I spent $30 for three unknown tanks on Craigslist, and when it was said and done I ended up with one usable steel 72. Same story though, that tank has allowed me to get out there and dive when the opportunity presents itself instead of waiting until I can get something better.

For me it was light. Flooded on first slightly deep dive.

I m always careful for the value for money as most "branded" items are a complete waste of money IMO (hey halcyon 😉 )

For regs though I love the comfort of a good balanced reg, so I settled buying only second hand legend.

Yeah, that wound up making fundies really painful for me, as I acquired some bad habits that were deeply ingrained. I'm not saying the same is true for you.

I don't think I've ever read a report of fundies not being painful, lol.

No, I believe that's true for me as well. I know that I would benefit greatly from fundies, but fundies would not increase how often I dive.... same goes for tech training right now. I could do it, but for what purpose? My kids are still in school, I don't really have time (or money) to jet off to deeper more expensive dives just yet. I'm still in my 30's, so I have some time to get there.

Sometimes, the opposite is true. Some of my more expensive purchases, a Halcyon wing and canister light as well as a new DUI TLS 350 drysuit were pieces of crap. The wing arrived with a two-inch cut in it. The light failed more often than it worked. I had to replace the bulb and ballast multiple times. The drysuit leaked on 98 of the 100 dives I made in it. I had better luck with two Ebay drysuits for $300.

Sometimes, the opposite is true. Some of my more expensive purchases, a Halcyon wing and canister light as well as a new DUI TLS 350 drysuit were pieces of crap. The wing arrived with a two-inch cut in it. The light failed more often than it worked. I had to replace the bulb and ballast multiple times. The drysuit leaked on 98 of the 100 dives I made in it. I had better luck with two Ebay drysuits for $300.
My Halcyon Focus Handheld (first gen) was a POS and the most expensive waste of money I've spent on scuba gear. Second is the ScubaPro Evertec dry suit. I hate that dry suit more than the light, despite being $500 less.

I don't think I've ever read a report of fundies not being painful, lol.

No, I believe that's true for me as well. I know that I would benefit greatly from fundies, but fundies would not increase how often I dive.... same goes for tech training right now. I could do it, but for what purpose? My kids are still in school, I don't really have time (or money) to jet off to deeper more expensive dives just yet. I'm still in my 30's, so I have some time to get there.
Maybe when your kids getting into diving? For those who are vacation divers, I think the bar of not kicking coral is all that needs to be met.

I hear you. Both of my wife's rebreathers were purchased new. All of mine were used. Up until a few years ago, I don't think there was a single piece of kit I used that was purchased new. I have always been in the "Built, not bought" camp.
When you buy supplies for your boat, do you buy line or rope? Because you can save money buying rope and then converting it to line once you get in the boat.

Not paying that extra 10 US dollars for a hut with air-conditioning in Indonesia, thinking I'm still the tough young backpacker I used to be. Worst night of sleep in my life, the night before boarding a liveaboard. Pound-wise and penny-foolish, or something like that.

If it works, what's the problem?

1662077962365.png

Back
Top Bottom