Downtown Aquarium Denver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

inter_alia

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
After a search, only one thread came up about the two dive prorgams at the aquarium. Apparently they were new programs this summer... has anyone else done these yet? I'll be in Denver for a conference in March and would love to know if either dive program was worth the cost. Thanks!

They have two dive programs. A snorkeling program and a SCUBA program. Here are the descriptions of the two programs:

Snorkel: http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumdenver/pdf/DiveFish.pdf

SCUBA: http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumdenver/pdf/SharkDive.pdf

We have a LOT Of sharks in the exhibit where you SCUBA dive, so if you like sharks, it'd be a must dive. I can't tell you exactly what they do during the dive, since they chase us low lifes (the cleaning folk :)) out of the exhibit before the dive for fun folks get in.

If you have any specific questions, I'll try and answer them for you.

Roak

Ps. The base page for the aquarium: http://www.aquariumrestaurants.com/downtownaquariumdenver/flash_content/index.html

Yeah, I looked at the Aquarium website as well as A-1 Scuba's site (what a facility!) I am leaning toward the shark dive -- I like sharks but I love turtles, the bigger the better. It's odd that they'd price the two scuba programs at the same rate, usually (I'm thinking Tampa maybe) the shark dives are more expensive. My only aquarium experience is at EPCOT and that's not a fair comparison for any other place. I guess my baseline question is simply: is there enough bang for all those bucks?

Thanks again!

There are two or three big turtles in the shark exhibit too, so you won't be disappointed there. Worth it? That's too personal to call. But one metric you could use is that you'll be crammed in with more marine life than you'd see in three dives in Hawaii, and three dives in Hawaii will cost you about $170. :)

I will warn you that you won't be able to interact with the animals -- only they are allowed to "initiate contact" but that said, on the swim step you're usually mobbed by one of the turtles and one of the zebra sharks loooking for a handout!

Roak

jwlast:
Do they allow photography on the dives?
Good question -- you can either call the number in the links I gave a couple replies back or I'll ask this Saturday when I'm up there.

Is your avitar one of the cathedrals off Lanai?

Roak

On the web site they say no camera in the shark tank, you can take a camera in the fish tank. The camera that you may take in the fish tank must be a simple one no strobes but I believe if your housing has a flash diffuser you will be fine. Almost forgot 20 dollars extra to take the camera in. Found this info on A-1's e-newsletter this month.

Well, no camera/photography allowed, guess we won't be making the trip.

The avitar is a place called Stars off the west side of Oahu

Either way you look at it the memory of swimming with that many different kinds of sharks, let alone the size of some of them, it will be burned into your memory for life. I promise. So even if you can't take the camera in, it will still be more that worth it.

Just be nice to my little buddies......

See ya next weekend Roakey.

Back
Top Bottom