DPV How much thrust or speed is needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is very uncommon for divers to carry scooters around while they are carrying their gear, makes for a very unstable trek, most do two sets out with the dpv on their shoulders. Again, VERY rare for dpv's to be carried simultaneously with back gas, and that 130 is about 60lbs when full with a regulator on it, so making two trips with even a UV18 isn't going to be that bad, just have to get it up on your shoulder. Problem with small scooters is they tend to be very twitchy when it comes to long runs due to lack of mass. UV26 at 93lbs drives like a big Escalade size vehicle, the little baby ones drive like an AC Cobra, not a lot of weight, same power as the big one, and rear wheel drive makes for a lot of diver input. Not bad for boat diving where you drop in and are just using it to go around, but there is a reason you don't often see the small ones zipping around cave country or on anything that you are on the trigger for a long time. I'd look at a Vipe LiFe in your situation, great burn time, drives more like a mid-size sedan, doesn't cost a whole lot *Right around $4k*, great physical specs and at right around 50lbs, it's still a second trip down to the water, but it'll be nice if you are going a long way.

It is very uncommon for divers to carry scooters around while they are carrying their gear, makes for a very unstable trek, most do two sets out with the dpv on their shoulders. Again, VERY rare for dpv's to be carried simultaneously with back gas, and that 130 is about 60lbs when full with a regulator on it, so making two trips with even a UV18 isn't going to be that bad, just have to get it up on your shoulder. Problem with small scooters is they tend to be very twitchy when it comes to long runs due to lack of mass. UV26 at 93lbs drives like a big Escalade size vehicle, the little baby ones drive like an AC Cobra, not a lot of weight, same power as the big one, and rear wheel drive makes for a lot of diver input. Not bad for boat diving where you drop in and are just using it to go around, but there is a reason you don't often see the small ones zipping around cave country or on anything that you are on the trigger for a long time. I'd look at a Vipe LiFe in your situation, great burn time, drives more like a mid-size sedan, doesn't cost a whole lot *Right around $4k*, great physical specs and at right around 50lbs, it's still a second trip down to the water, but it'll be nice if you are going a long way.

It's 40 ft from the house to the ocean then 34 stairs down a steep bank. It's doable the tank is 44.4lbs empty it's an XS scuba tank. The only problem is if you drift to much and can't make it back to shore in the same spot then it's a good hike/rock climbing to get out. Which is why a longer run time is a good thing as it can help get you back once your on the surface. There are caves in the area they're 100-200 ft long I plan on staying out of them. Twitcy is ok with me I just want something practical for 2 dives then a recharge that isn't super heavy or to undered powered. It doesn't have to be a rocket ship just enough for the size and drag. I tend to do 1 longer dive then quit for the day anyways so if it lasts only 1 and a half dives that's good enough too.

then you are best off finding a dpv that you like, and carry it down separately if you have issues holding stuff. DPV's go either on your shoulder, or it isn't uncommon to diy a backpack style sling for it and carry it that way if you have to carry it a long way or up/down stairs regularly. Set it down on one of the bottom steps then carry to the water.

What about the new Dive Xtras P1 that's only 24.6lbs. Could probably carry that in one hand whilst kitted up and avoid that second run.

At $5k it's a steep price to pay to save a few pounds and lose a lot of comfort for long dives, but yes the P1 would be the only other DPV I'd consider at this price point, especially considering they are local.

For what the OP is describing I'd consider looking into something used and low cost. Perhaps a Mako would fit the bill. Not too expensive, batteries are affordable, and they have a good history, just an older scooter. I still see them used in caves on occasion. There are also quite a few used Gavins popping up for sale lately. They are heavier but have a proven track record.

Have you thought about the Bladefish? They have a new and improved design that just came to market.

it seemed ok I wasn't sure how much thrust when compared to say the cuda or the p1. The problem I see with the p1 is I don't know how the battery attachs to the motor as you just bolt another on to increase the range. Buy a battery it becomes a p2 and I see it as 2 seals to leak instead of 1. That's the 1 thing that would scare me about the design as it just looks like a strap holds it together.

Fast enough to suck bikinis off when you go by?

Last edited by a moderator:
it seemed ok I wasn't sure how much thrust when compared to say the cuda or the p1. The problem I see with the p1 is I don't know how the battery attachs to the motor as you just bolt another on to increase the range. Buy a battery it becomes a p2 and I see it as 2 seals to leak instead of 1. That's the 1 thing that would scare me about the design as it just looks like a strap holds it together.

There's no comparison between a bladefish and an actual DPV. I doubt there's too much worry about the P2/P3 multiple seals, though the less risky and more expensive approach is to have completely different nosecones for given battery sizes like the Genesis 600/1200/1500 range.

---------- Post added March 23rd, 2015 at 06:43 PM ----------

Fast enough to suck bikinis off when you go by?

Ah, I see you've met a Genesis DPV :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom