DPV with a Jacket BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pjones

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
My fiance is still looking for a BCD and she hasn't quite decided on what type to get. I'm trying to look into the future on where we want to go with this and I'm pushing to not close any doors while choosing our gear. One thing that has always interested us were DPV's. My understanding is that the DPV attaches to the d-ring on the crotch strap of a BP/W. I wasn't too sure if a crotch strap could be fitted to a jacket style BCD though. I figure that this would narrow down our choices quite a lot if DPV's are only compatible with BP/W's.

Thanks

I haven't been too impressed with the hand held models of DPV's. I have seen some videos of them in use and I just don't see it pulling a diver anywhere unless there moving with a current...

Bladefish 5000

Sea-Doo

Sea-Doo W/ Tanks

Looking at that harness that you mentioned it looks like it will work on a bcd as long as it has webbing used as a waste strap. I didn't know of this product yet so I will look into the possibility of that some more.

Last edited:
My fiance is still looking for a BCD and she hasn't quite decided on what type to get. I'm trying to look into the future on where we want to go with this and I'm pushing to not close any doors while choosing our gear. One thing that has always interested us were DPV's. My understanding is that the DPV attaches to the d-ring on the crotch strap of a BP/W. I wasn't too sure if a crotch strap could be fitted to a jacket style BCD though. I figure that this would narrow down our choices quite a lot if DPV's are only compatible with BP/W's.

Thanks

Although, a bp/w would give you the widest range of options any bcd that has a sturdy crotch strap will do.

According to Zeagle, their bcds have a 2" slot for a crotch strap:
"The 519-CS02 Crotch Strap can be used on all Zeagle Backplates and any Zeagle BC (Ranger, Tech, etc.) that has a 2" slot at the bottom of the vest section back. It has a 2" ring to attach to a towing fixture of a DPV (Diver Propulsion Vehicle). The 2" ring features a quick release buckle."
Zeagle Crotch Strap- 2inch wide scuba diving gear at Zeagle Express
That means you can easily use any 2" strap out there.

Lottsa of love for the Express Tech:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...h-first-last-bc-most-will-ever-need-want.html

Look around for other bcds with the 2" slot but a bp/w will be the best option, something like this:
BackPlate and Wing Package reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

SangP

I think you won't need to use crotch straps for DPVs from Apollo or Tusa.
With these DPVs, you put it between your legs and get propelled like a torpedo, instead of being pulled like the usual DPVs.

Since I haven't dove one, I can't say whether they're better or worse compared to regular DPVs

Hope this helps

Kaza

Lots of bcs are adaptable, hardpacks with a slot at the bottom, lower front D rings, standard sewing machine with bigger needles and heavier nylon thread. It's nice to save your energy and arms for steer only, clip when not in use. Old Scubapro seems to get 6&1/2 feet 200lbs plus of me around ok not a race.

By this and you and her will be very happy. If you like the ease of adjustability go with the Infinity. If you don't need that or the pads which alot don't get the eclipse. Both my G/F and I dive it and love it.

Single Tank BC Systems | Halcyon Dive Systems

Infinity_ACB_bl_smaller.jpg

10-Eclipse-System_c200.jpg

Air 2's and wireless air integrated computers are on my no-scootering dive list, but I've only ever seen vest BC's with scooters.

It is very likely the vast majority of scooter dives every year are made in vest BC's. As with nearly every warm water dive destination I've heard of, pretty much every beach resort on Maui has a dive operator with scooters, nearly every LDS on Maui has scooters, most of the legitimate independent shore instructor/guides have scooters and the VAST majority of the divers who use them are using vest BC's, including the instructor/guides.

I have made over 500 scooter dives, leading guests on at least a third of them, and I can't even remember a back inflate BC on those dives. The following pics were already in my SB Gallery; first up a pic of me, with a 40 cf pony mounted to my main tank!. :)

These two are a DPV Specialty student; we also did Deep Specialty on scooters.

Here is British hard rocker Billy Morrison posing for a pic with a juvenal turtle, in his own vest BC.

Here is a typical tourist using one typically; almost fast enough to flood a tighter than normal mask.

It's good you save yourself and bring us the goods stuff. It would also be very good to see the two Billy's touring together.

The SeaDoo scooters are hand-held. They're low power and don't have a ton of battery life, but they're fun.

The "tech type" scooters (as the Sea Doo people put it) generally need to attach to some kind of crotch strap or harness. I sure wouldn't want my X-scooter pulling me by my hands!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom