DPV with a Jacket BCD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you won't need to use crotch straps for DPVs from Apollo or Tusa.
With these DPVs, you put it between your legs and get propelled like a torpedo, instead of being pulled like the usual DPVs.

Since I haven't dove one, I can't say whether they're better or worse compared to regular DPVs

Hope this helps

Kaza

Yes, the attachment to allow this feature is termed a saddle...

The SeaDoo scooters are hand-held. They're low power and don't have a ton of battery life, but they're fun.

The "tech type" scooters (as the Sea Doo people put it) generally need to attach to some kind of crotch strap or harness. I sure wouldn't want my X-scooter pulling me by my hands!

Thanks. I wasn't actually sure if there was a big difference between the higher end of the SeaDoo scooters and the "tech type" scooters. I wondered a little if it was simply that the higher end scooter users knew how to make a better film. I've read limited info on both and have understood that on the higher end tech type scooters if your not careful they will take off your mask. I've never heard of that from the SeaDoo type though. It seems that the low end scooter videos always shows the user doing flips but not too often a straight line. I figure that is because the lack of speed that the scooter has shows during straight line scenes and is simply not very impressive. I sure know there is a big difference in the cost between the two though. :depressed:

I still have a ways to go before I'm ready to use a scooter but I didn't want to have to end up buying a 2nd bcd simply because it wouldn't accept a crotch strap. It looks like there are plenty of ways to make a jacket style bcd work though if that is what the fiance decides.

Big Thanks to everyone for all the replies and ideas about products that are available out there!

Thanks. I wasn't actually sure if there was a big difference between the higher end of the SeaDoo scooters and the "tech type" scooters.

Just do a cursory size comparison.

seascooter.jpg

P1020797web.JPG

Well, the "tech" scooters were designed to do long dives, dives against heavy flow or dives in high current. They have a lot of power and long battery times. They are also relatively heavy and expensive, but they are durable. The SeaDoo type is fine for having fun zooming around some shallow reefs, and seeing a bit more, perhaps, than you can comfortably do swimming. Different requirements, different instruments, different price.

Some jacket BCD's are amenable to adding a crotch strap. I successfully added one to my SeaQuest; not for scootering, but just because I often find myself doing reef photos upside down and didn't like the vest creeping up around my shoulders. Fixed by the addition of a Dive Rite 2" crotch strap and one stainless steel bolt (because the one that came with the Dive Rite was designed for their Transpac and wasn't quite long enough for the SeaQuest).

But I'll bet other jackets could be similarly modded with a strap.

Back
Top Bottom