Draeger LAR V (If you have knowledge & experience on the unit)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The basic specs look close enough to me. Except for the operating temperature and simplicity

LAR V
Lung: 5.5 l
Canister: 5.0 lb
Cylinder: 10.6 cuft at 3000 psi 1.5l 200 bar (1.9l/4l)
Size: 16.7 x 11.8 x 6.7
Weight: 28.6lb (13kg) neutral ready to dive (24.2 lb)
Operating temp: +28F to +104F (-2C to +40C)

Choptima
Lung: 6 l
Canister: 5 lb
Cylinder: LP13/27/32 AL13/20
Size: Looks longer with the counter lungs extending further up the chest.
Weight: ~26 lb ready to dive less dil (14.4lb w/o cyl or sorb. + ~7 cyl + 5 sorb)
Operating temp: +39°F to +90°F (+4C to +32C)

Sorry for the thread hijack NoBubbles.
Haha that is fine man

Does anyone have any experience on the Aqua Lung FROGs as well? How did you like diving it?

The FROG is an operational unit in the French Navy (and probably others) I'm not so sure you'll be able to find a lot of civilians diving it.

The FROG is an operational unit in the French Navy (and probably others) I'm not so sure you'll be able to find a lot of civilians diving it.
Yes, it is true but still some civilians got some units and according to them the machine is quite nice to dive.
For the OP, as it seems it is your first unit, maybe a second hand AP or similar would be better than one of these oxy units...

ive heard alot of bad things about the frog , (when usd was trying to sell them in north america , i know of 3 people have them none are usable, all are missing parts , i believe usd bought dreager dive america , and stopped supporting the dolphin and ray right away , so they could sell the frog ( thats what i heard ) after the law suits dreagers coming back . ive never seen the optima o2 unit (not a fan of the optima any way ).....i probably never will dive one , id like too ......with the lar v i have i will never buy a another o2 unit ......after all it is the one others are measured by .....i thought of selling it at one time .....but it wasn't going for the 1k people offered ..........here is a link Draeger Tubox 10 semiclosed rebreather

Edit: I missed that optima is O2ptima. Which is version 2 not oxygen. My mistake.

ive never seen the optima o2 unit

I did not mean to suggest the optimal has an O2 version. Rather that the LAR V and Choptima are physically similar in weight and size. I do not see specs on the Choptima buoyancy kitted out, but LAR V is reported as neutral. It looks like it would be easier to look down the body with the LAR V than with the V neck lung of the Choptima, but I do not know.

LAR V: O2 (in its original version)
Choptima: eCCR

looking down at the pressure gauge and hitting the add button is no problem , the lar v is used with the secumar vest that has 2 bottles of air to inflate......my lar v is a tubox 10 version a surface support or a semi closed nitrox version a for runner of the lar vi

Back
Top Bottom