drager dolphin

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zaf88

Contributor
Reaction score
i found a guy that is goin to sell me his 3 month old drager dolphin. he has sent me a copy of the sales reciept and i called and verified it. it has 9 months left on the warranty. is this a good rebreather? is there alot i should worry about being that it is used(even though it does have a warranty)? any opinions are appreciated. thanx.

Hi,

The retail price new should be around $3,000 to $3,500. Call the shop that he bought it at and make sure the warrenty can be transferred.

Ask if they have had to service it.

Not much should happen to the unit in 3 months.

Just make sure you take a class on it and go slow at first.

Regards,

Mike

First, i agree with OMS asia, it is IMPERATIVE that you get the appropriate training. Rebreather diving is very unit specific but i assume you already know that. Have you taken a Dolphin class yet?

I like my Dolphin. It's a nice unit for your basic SCR IMO. I got mine two years ago for a little under $4000.00 out the door. For that price i got the class, the basic unit with nitrox tank, the tank has a non-standard valve, the ppO2 monitor, the half fill adaptor for the CO2 scrubber canister, the EAN32 orifice, and a box of Drager Dive-sorb.

You need to find out what is included with the rig to determine what it is worth. One other thing i'm sure your aware of is that you will need a pony bottle of reasonable size for your bail out system.

Good luck & dive safe

i spoke to aqualung and they said that the warranty is not transsferable but th e seller is willing to "pretend" that he is the owner changing addresses so i could keep the warranty. i also asked them @ servicing, they said that it averages @$500. how often do i have to service it? im gonna email him as to what is included for that price(thanks to ur respnses). im also getting the serial # from the guy to give to aqualung to see if the unit has had problems or if the warranty was voided for any reasons. am i missing any bases here?

How much are you saving off the new purchase price, given that legally the warranty will be worth nothing, the unit has three months of use at the hands of a complete stranger, and it will cost approximately $500 to get it completely checked out before you start using it?

And quite frankly, if the previous poster's price was accurate (about $4k all said and done), I would really want to know why the person is ditching the unit. Maybe I don't hang out with a rich enough crowd :wink:, but it seems to me that most folks would have to do some real thinking before spending that type of money and would be relatively unlikely to change their minds.

Anyway, good luck, and I would err on the side of safety.

-earl-

Without training the unit will kill you. I know, but you have to keep saying that. If the unit is sold as described with no faults that would require you to send it back to him and ask for your money back, then.. the air bags, O2 sensor, and yearly inspections on the regs is all normal maintinence. I doute that the air bags cost $500 dollars. The O2 sensors are good for 3 years and cost $75. The training will including training you to inspect your own equipment. It's a pretty tuff little unit.If the air bags are good then there is not muchchance you will be getting your $500 dollars back in service.That O2 PP gauge is your life, you can overbreathe these units.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom