DragerRay Rebreather - any thoughts?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Thinking of buying one (Certified on Draeger Dolphin) any thoughts? What's a fair price for a - not new, but unused - one?

Cheers all!

I'd pass, might want to look at the Evo and Inspration, or a KISS or if you have 20k to dump an Oroborous

At around US$1K, I'm still pretty tempted. It's mostly for photography, and not much deeper than 30m, so I'm not heading hardcore any time yet...

Ya know this question always seems to get the most interesting responses. All of my CCR buds would tell you to skip the Drager and go straight to a CCR like the KISS, Optima or etc etc..., Why? Because a lot of them start off with the drager or some other entry level SCR and graduate (some say quickly) to one of the CCR's out there. As a result they would offer that the SCR was a waste of money. As for me, I am lucky enough to live in an area where one of the local shops actually rents the Drager. So, I rent. Since they don't rent the the thing very often I have been able to make some get some decent rental prices for prolonged rentals (like a 5-10 day trip or something).
Anyway, to address you question. If you want to get an un-used SCR but not new....I have no idea where to begin looking. The Drager is a very common SCR and shouldn't be too hard to find a used one with some dilligent looking. It's a decent "kit" and there are a number of upgrades that are available for the unit. So, over all, it's not a bad purchase for sport-diving but be prepared to hear some folks tell you not to "waste your money" on the thing.

but be prepared to hear some folks tell you not to "waste your money" on the thing.

Don't waste your money on the thing - Drager Ray. Why? You can do a lot with 1K other than the Ray. IMO it's a bag of _____. As per the Dolphin...what he said above. It's a decent enough of a rig which can be modified into a CCR using a KISS style injector.

X

I'm pretty sure the Ray has a relatively small scrubber and that becomes the limiting factor when diving that particular model. At popular recreational depths, the scrubber is exhausted before your NDL or your gas. Something to consider...

Ray.

I've found the Ray to be easier to breathe (split OTS counterlungs) than the Dolphin. My chief
complaints about the unit are the small (i.e. short duration) scrubber and the insane amount
of foam they put into the BCD jacket - it's quite buoyant and requires a startling amount of
lead to sink it.

The rule I used to apply when I owned one was 2 long-ish (75-90 minutes) dives on the
scrubber using 4-8 Sodasorb. I dive in warm water (Hawaii), and would never consider
pushing the scrubber that far in cold water.

I dove using the 50% orifice, which clogged on me more than once. Given that its quite
a bit larger orifice than the corresponding one for the Dolphin I am somewhat mystified
as to how it happened. It's a good idea to have some means of monitoring one's PO2 - I
used an Uwatec Oxy2/AirZ O2 using adapters I bought from TecMe, though these days
there are other options (e.g. the rEvoDream).

Drop in at Rebreatherworld and have a look around.

Back
Top Bottom