Dragonfly Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

markyd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi, I recently bought a used Dragonfly AirTrim BC, and it works great except the backplate is cracked in half. The BC is still useable once set up, since the tank is strapped against the broken piece, holding it in place. However, it's a bit annoying to get the tank attached in the first place and I was hoping to replace it.

I called Mares and they told me I could not order the part (they don't have it, presumably because the BC is 5+ years old), but I was wondering if maybe it was a common part with another model that is still available. Any idea?

I plan to run by my local shop to see if the current models look the same, but I haven't done it yet.

I'd appreciate any help I can get!
Thanks,
marky-d

I have the same problem with mine, except that it's the actual backplate part that's cracked. The crack is slowly creeping upwards and eventually the hole thing will split in two. I was thinking of some kind of glueing/reinforcing operation, but if you find a proper spare part, let me know..

Unfortunately no good news to report. I spoke to Mares customer service again, and they said they don't stock backplate replacement parts at all. Their only suggestion was to talk to a local dealer and try to 'work out a deal' with them. I guess that means they would rather me buy a new one instead of fixing an old one. Lovely.

I guess I'll go ahead and try making my own out of aluminum.

marky-d

Well, it took me a while to get it done, but here's my new, billet aluminum backplate! I haven't tried it out yet, but at least the BC is re-assembled.

It probably took more time and materials than buying another used BC, but it turned out pretty sweet.

marky-d

Attachments

• IMG_5317_small.JPG
    IMG_5317_small.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_5318_small.JPG
    IMG_5318_small.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 44
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom