drawings for backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaws

Reaction score
hello every one
new member of scubaboard
I am a tech diver from South Africa
And i am looking to make my own reel and backplates
i would appreciate any links to sites where i might find some
The cost in SA of aluminum and s/s is very simalar, would like input
which is more suitable, I use twin 15lsand 2 10l alu side slings

from jaws

i was able to find drawings of a backplate
and single tank adapter from a friend at NormalAir Underwater
Club, he also mentioned that it would cost around R300-00
(+/- 27$) to make, what do new one's cost from Dive-Rite, Halcyon etc...

Hi Jaws,

Have a look at Reinhard Kopka's site:

http://insel.heim.at/malediven/350052/proj_k_e.htm

I built a similar version to the first reel shown on this page. It was really simple to construct (still have to add the brake though :) )

I used perspex for the end plates, a small cylinder of aluminium for the reel body. Machined the end plates on my home drill mounted in a clamp. Used an aangle grinder to remove the excess material while the perspex disk turned in the drill chuck (don't try this at home, kids! :boom: ) I cut and filed the one side off a piece of aluminium angle iron, because I could not get a piece of flat bar for the main frame. For this project, the aluminium should be easy to obtain from metal dealers - they should have heaps of scrap and the parts are tiny. The aluminium is a lot easier to work at home than stainless steel (cutting slots, filing, etc).

For the backplate, though I have no experience with this particular item, I would not recommend aluminium as I suspect that it would be more prone to distortion (but easier to work with). (my 2c worth)

I used a length of fishing net repair line for my bouy line, but it will have to be replaced as it is virtually invisible (dark green). Hint: multicoloured aluminium gate clips for attaching the reel to your BC can be found at Mica Hardware (in SA!) - look in the same area as chains or shackles. Cost about R10.

HTH

Andrew

Back
Top Bottom