Dredging at the Blue Hole

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The Army Engineer Corps are going to start yet another dredging effort at the Blue Hole. I *think* it starts again June 29th, but I may have my dates screwed up, so please correct me if I'm wrong. We are considering a trip down again on the third weekend next month, and I hope I do have the dates right because if they are starting at the end of June, that weekend will be the last good time to dive the Hole for a while

They will be open on weekends, but based on the last time they did this, diving is going to be poor for the duration they are working. I hope they know what they are dong, and don't screw up and collapse the bottom. :shakehead

I hear they are also going to start construction on some of the new facilities, and I forgot to ask Stella when that all was going to take place. I think some of their funding caved, but they do have $$$ to start some of the improvements.

I discussed having a pay box with the guy who is bidding on the security for all the lakes in the area, and that is a no go because they continue to have vandalism problems at the Blue Hole and other facilities near Santa Rosa. If you have recently applied for annual dive permits, he said that is over a month behind at this point as well.

I keep hoping that Santa Rosa can get their stuff together, and make good improvements, but I guess some bad apple locals continue to screw things up. Maybe I should be careful what I wish for. Aside from a few annoying things, like locals trashing up the place, I am very fond of the Blue Hole as it exists today! Cheap air, good diving, good friends. If they added some lights in the parking area for night diving, it really would be almost perfect! Damn, we never seem to remember to bring a lantern! Night dive gear down is really a pain on a moonless night! :no

Fort Collins Bob:
Thanks for the update ...

It might be may 29th .. you might want to check that out w/ stella.

B

The ABQ locals likely have this info already, and one reason I posted is to make sure I have the dates right. If they are starting in May, than no more diving the Hole for a while. It's just too far to go down for stirred up diving.

I think it's June however as when the guy mentioned this to me my first thought was good, it starts after our next dive trip down... I guess someone will post if I have it wrong! :popcorn:

I talked to Stella last time we're out there and she mentioned the Army Corps divers had been out and were looking at the particulars to start the side and bank reinforcements. She thought they were taking eary June. I hope that is NOT the case, as I have a class going out June 2-3. Jason had posted a few months back about the loss of funds for the big entry and exit work at the steps and overflow areas.

Stacey, NMSC owner is going out tomorrow with a group of Firefighter divers for their certs and had planned on finding out whats going on, or at least as much as possible.

Ron, you're so right about the bone heads that screw things up. I betcha they listen to rap music........... :11::rofl3: The divers tend to be a lot more respectful than your "run of the mill"!!

My sister-in-law works for the Corps of Engineers, and is involved in the project. I'll see if I can get any more info and will be sure to post it.

I don't understand the need for dredging the hole year after year. What exactly are they trying to accomplish? Are they trying to reduce the stress load on the bottom of the hole to keep it from collapsing? They certainly aren't doing much to "help" the diving that I have seen. I dove last year after they finished up. The bottom is still covered in silt. Boneheads still blow the vis every time they roto-till the bottom.

I understand the COE's work on the parking lot, improving the entrance and facilities. I just can't wrap my mind around thier goal for dredging.

Comrade

There's a sign posted on Stellas door that says the hole will be closed from May 29th - June 29th. She said they were planning on keeping the hole open on the weekends but that will be like diving in chocolate milk.

That's all I know about that!

PF

fire_diver:
I don't understand the need for dredging the hole year after year. What exactly are they trying to accomplish? Are they trying to reduce the stress load on the bottom of the hole to keep it from collapsing? They certainly aren't doing much to "help" the diving that I have seen. I dove last year after they finished up. The bottom is still covered in silt. Boneheads still blow the vis every time they roto-till the bottom.

I understand the COE's work on the parking lot, improving the entrance and facilities. I just can't wrap my mind around thier goal for dredging.

Comrade

That's my understanding, but then again us divers don't have all the information and details. Would that be nice, Hell yeh!!!

pipefish:
There's a sign posted on Stellas door that says the hole will be closed from May 29th - June 29th. She said they were planning on keeping the hole open on the weekends but that will be like diving in chocolate milk.

That's all I know about that!

PF

Ugggggg!! I got a class that will be there June 2-3............. I HOPE that they are running late (just one more week)

Might have to give the OW students a specialty in Limited Viz diving!!:confused::shakehead

Back
Top Bottom