Dressel or Dive Palancar?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba mike1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Staying at the Iberostar next Fri-Fri. I don't normally stay at big resorts like this and use the resort dive boat but it's x-mas and my wife likes big resorts. Need help deciding between on-site Dressel or Dive Palancar. Heard great things about Dive Palancar and I'm leaning towards them. They run a two-tank am boat trip and don't return to the dock after every dive like Dressel. I also don't prefer cattle boats. Is Dive Palancar a good choice? They will pick us up at Iberostar pier. Is there any other opp I don't know about that's better? First time in coz. If I use Dive Palancar can I use the rinse stations at Dressel since i'm staying at the resort?

Iberostar does not allow outside dive operations to use there dock without a large fee. Check to make sure the dive op picks up at Iberostar and has payed the $100 useage fee.

I believe they are both cattle boats but DPalancar may have smaller boats for a fee.

If I was forced to pick, I would use Dressel for the free Nitrox.

However, I would use a dive shop that limits to 6-8 divers, even if i had to wade out to the boat from the beach.

Last edited:
What do you mean? I'm a guest at the Iberostar. They charge guests to walk on the pier? That's non-sense

If you are staying at Iberostar, then use Dressel. As @NDL_Diver said-- It is highly unlikely that Dive Palancar will be allowed to pick you up. Dressel is a solid dive operation- It will make your life and stay easier to go with them.

Dive Palancar can pick us up at the Iberostar pier every am. I just called and asked, they didn't mention an extra fee either.

Dive Palancar can pick us up at the Iberostar pier every am. I just called and asked, they didn't mention an extra fee either.
Good to know- They have clearly worked something out with Dressel and Iberostar that others haven't. I have never dived with them, so I can't really give an opinion and I can't seem to discern what their cost is from their website. As for the rinse station, I don't know what their take will be on that. And I don't know of any other ops that have access to the Iberostar pier. You might even want to double check with Dive Palancar to see if they actually pick you up at the pier or if you will be wading into the water for a pickup.

Just called again to confirm dock pick up. They have a deal with the Iberostar hotel to use their pier/dock. I will stick with them for now.

Last edited:
From what i wad told, Dive Ops are charged something like $100 per month, per boat, usage fee to pick up at Iberostar dock.

I think DWM may have paid the fee for one of there boats.

It is hard for Dive Ops that have multiple boats, or only 1 or 2 clients a month to justify the paying the fee.

Alot of other hotels may charge Dive Ops a per day fee or no fee to allow there guests to pick tour packages as they want.

Dressel offers 20% discount for prepaying your dives, equipment etc. They also offer night dives I believe twice a week. Their boats are fairly large. I've done the 6-8 divers on the smaller boats and was far more crowded than on one of Dressel's boats.

Going back to the resort for the surface interval can be nice. You can grab a coke or water, use the restroom, get a piece of fruit or donut...

You'll be diving a set schedule though.

The rinse tank can be used by anyone as it's at the side of the building. I don't know if you'd be permitted to store your gear/wet suit in the changing area though.

Free nitrox is definitely a plus.

2 1/2 cents worth :)

What do you mean? I'm a guest at the Iberostar. They charge guests to walk on the pier? That's non-sense
YES - they do - it's not even about the fee but the hoops and red tape they require operators to go through to service THEIR hotel guests. They require information that only my accountant and banker should have access to - this is why you will find very few outside operators providing service to this hotel - just as they like it. It's also the southernmost hotel on the island and an expensive ride to go anywhere off hotel grounds and you also miss some great dive sites that are north of that hotel. At this late game, if you haven't made reservations for diving - your only choice may be Dressel - even they may be booked up already. I've been turning folks away for almost 2 months and have run out of shops with availability to even refer people to - so I would jump on whatever avaialbility you can find at this point.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom