Drift Diving 101

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Flying into Cancun works well as long as you leave time on either side to get their with time to spare.

I'd plan you Cenote trip at the beginning, or end of the trip so once you get to the mainland, you are done traveling back and forth. However this is just a suggestion. A Cenote trip is certainly very doable in the middle of a week of diving.

Drift diving is easy.... until it is not. IOW's stay near the DM, pay attention to where other divers are going, and you will be fine. If you get too far away from the group, it can be difficult to get back to them in heavy current. Another thing to watch for is if the DM goes behind a coral mount or shelf to point out something. If you just keep cruising, you my find yourself alone, so pay attention, and if you do find yourself in front of the group go to the bottom, and sit in the sand, or grab a hunk of dead coral. Staying behind the DM is a good plan.

The reality is that drifts are not all equal. There are some site that really rip, and others that don't so much. Let the DiveOP know of your experience, and they will likely schedule dives that match your experience.

If you suck air, a lot of ops are going to send you up prior to the dive ending. Don't worry too much about that. Just do a very gradual ascent, and you can watch what is going on below until you hit the surface. Once on top, the boat will come pick you up.

Have fun, and safe diving.

Cozumel drift diving is not a big challenge to most. Unlike The Florida Keys, a DM is required for every 8 divers so you can count on that help - but do carry adequate signaling devices, see link in my Sig below. Your dive op will ask about your experience level and probly put you on a boat with similar divers for appropriate dives, altho exception do happen. You do not have to follow on a dive that is too deep for your comfort and training.

My bud has a problem clearing his ears so we advised the DMs of this and that we would be stopping at 15 ft on the descent for him to work them out rather than simply dropping to the bottom like they prefer. Keep an eye on the group if you have to pause to clear and catch up to them when you can. Most importantly, stay together and if you get lost - do a safe ascent and signal. A boat will pick you up; if it's not your boat, they'll take you to yours. Went thru that once there.

The Cancun-Coz shuffle is no biggie if you can save enough to bother. If you have too much luggage to hump yourself, there'll be porters at every need. You can easily put luggage for two on one of the tricycles they use on the ferry docks and I was told last week that the standard tip is $3 US.

I've done Cenote diving twice now so I am no expert, but had great experiences both days. I was extremely impressed with Klaus at Playa Scuba - Dive Center - Welcome! - Playa del Carmen, Mexico last week. The down side to doing a Cenotes day on the way back to Cancun is the Play del Carmen hotels; I used a different operator to set us up a couple of nights there last week and hated it; but Klaus showed us the one he suggests near his shop - much nicer for the same $80/night. The ferry dock porter than push your luggage to the hotel if needed; just double the tip to $6 US. Also ask Klaus to suggest restaurants. Playa del Carmen dock area is kinda grimy yet very popular and he can put you into nicer ones.

Don't worry, you'll have a great trip. The airport bus is right outside the terminal, and drops you about 400 yards from the ferry terminal. If you lave lots of luggage without wheels and don't want to hassle carrying them that distance, there are Bicycleros (bicycle porters) right outside the bus terminal, who you can hire to take your luggage. They work for tips, so give them a buck or two per bag, or $5.00 for a load.

About the the diving. You'll be in a Marine park, and the rules are that you have to be accompanied by a DM, so all Cozumel diving is guided. Be honest with your dive op about your limited experience, and any other concerns. They'll put you on a boat with similarly skilled divers, and pick sites accordingly, or in a more mixed group will keep an eye on you.

You'll rapidly learn what it takes to make the current your friend. Rule number one- Do not swim down current. The current will carry you along, so swim across, or against it to see whatever you want to see.

You'll slow down or stop reasonably easily by staying lower or in the lee of coral heads where the current is slower. If you get good at slowing down, or opt to hang out in one place a bit longer you can easily catch back up by going up a bit (6-10') and catching a ride on the faster current until you catch up. There'll probably be a few swim throughs; if you're not comfortable with these you can simply drift/swim over the top, following the bubbles until you meet them on the other side.

The only real issue with Cozumel diving is bouyancy and trim. You need good trim to safely dive near delicate reef life, and good bouyancy to manage a free (no anchor line) ascent and safety stop. If this is a concern, try to work on it in a pool between now and your trip. The better your bouyancy and trim, the more you'll enjoy your dive. If you're still weak in these areas tell the DM and he'll help you. All the DMs I know in Cozumel would rather help you improve your diving than deal with the problems.

As I said at the start, you'll have a great trip. Cozumel is best enjoyed when you take it one day at a time and learn to go with the flow. (sorry, couldn't resist) dF

Back
Top Bottom