Drifting away in Margaritaville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adpfam

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Iooking for some recent intel about Fiesta americana hotel on cozumel
1: looking for recent experiences with the kids club Good or BAd looking to utilize them for my 12 year old son while we dive
2: any experiences with the onsite dive opp on site ( we have dove with aldora dive which are excellent ) on site might work out better for timing but aldora does have steel 120s.
also we are experienced and not much in to flounders or herding
3:whats march like for conditions
4: is it nessary to book in advance or should we just go al la carte i noticed dive ops are not posting dive packages
5 and any tips about getting to the island the island hopper is going to kill us in extra baggage

thanks in advance

moved from another forum

Adpfam, I can't comment on the Kids Club but I can tell you that the Fiesta Americana is one of the best hotels in Cozumel. We have stayed there off and on since 95 and some of the same folks are still working there. the food is not bad. I've had better but also worse. We didn't have problem finding enough to keep us happy. They have a nice pool with swim-up bar. All in all the staff is friendly and helpful. I highly recommend FA. As far as diving, the on site Op is Dive House. dove with them several trips. Not bad, hi volume, big slow boats for the most part. I'm sure they offer smaller 6-pak size boats for more experienced divers. We use either Dive with Martin or Papa Hogs. both are resonably priced with good DM's. I wouldn't suggest going without revs for the diving. I would prebook that when I did the hotel. Try the FA, I think you will be pleased.

Good dives.

I've stayed at FA and used Dive House four or five times. FA is a reasonably good hotel and has often been a really good value. I've been pretty happy there. I can't comment on the Kids' Club, being child-free myself. Dive House is a good operation, but you won't get the same experience as Aldora. If you liked diving with Aldora, they'll be happy to pick you up at the FA. FA doesn't have any problem with other ops picking up at their pier. I used Aldora the last time I stayed at FA. I don't see how there would be an issue with timing. Aldora usually picks up at FA pretty early. Last year, we stayed at Villa Aldora and dove with Aldora. I have two more trips booked with Aldora and Villa Aldora. I would still consider FA if I coulter a good deal. Whether you dive with Dive House or Aldora, I would recommend booking in advance. March is pretty good. Air temps typically in the 80's and water temps of 78. Sometimes you can get a Norte and get blown out. I've lost a day to a Norte a few times, but luckily never more than one in a week.

I dove with Dive House at FA in the mornings in August of 2011 and then with (now) Opal's Dream in the afternoons. I much preferred Opal's fast 6 packs (with 4-5 divers) than Dive House's large, slow boats with 12 divers and 2 DMs. Opal let us dive our air. Dive House would send air hog buddy teams up without the group, but they would call the dive after a set time, even if you still had air and no-deco time. All the DMs I had from both shops were great.

I have stayed at FA twice and like it there. I am not picky about food. I have not used Kid's club. The snorkeling off their shore (and even Money Bar nearby to the north) was way better before the big hurricane a few years back and it really still has not come back as of last year. Shore dive up by Villablanca was much better.

Just got back from FA and I loved it, can't tell you much about the kid sclub as we left our kid shoem for this trip. One of the guys I dove with says he's been diving and staying at FA since it was built. It was busy so we didn't pre book the first day but we did the second day just to make sure the boat was going to come. The DM's were great and I felt very safe there, and the bonus about FA is it's all inclusive.

We've stayed at FA with the kiddo, and she liked the club. They did a great job keeping her entertained while we were away, which also seemed to include something educational each day. They also did a nice job making sure she had sunscreen on, was well fed, ect... No problems there.

We prefer smaller dive ops with fast boats. There are lots of them to choose from, and lots of opinions on this board. I won't go into great detail about different operators. Nice thing is that at FA, just about any dive op will pick you up at the FA dock.

march is a month when you could get el nortes. however, since you are thinking of aldora, that might be a plus. have never done the east side with them, but posters here seem to think it is a special treat.

Nice thing is that at FA, just about any dive op will pick you up at the FA dock.
Yes, they are just south of caleta where most operators dock their boats so between that and the fact they seem to let all ops pick up there, Fiesta Americana pick up is a non-issue.

Does the FA let both parents leave the property and leave their kids at the hotel???? I have never heard of this being allowed at any other hotel.....?

Does the FA let both parents leave the property and leave their kids at the hotel???? I have never heard of this being allowed at any other hotel.....?

Yeah, they have a kids club. You check your kid "in" and "out" of the club. Both my wife and I going diving was never an issue at all.

Back
Top Bottom