DRIS 1000 Style Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:whistling:

DRIS is great! We have 3 of the DRIS 1000's. I just got one of the EBay lights and it seems identical but with a better lanyard. I compared beams and light output and then exchanged batteries and did the same. I can't see any difference. Same 3 o-rings. It may well have cheaper parts but at this point it looks and functions the same. Name on the light is a Brinyte DIV01 which is advertised on Google as a 500 lumen light??? These may be test mules? This one goes in my pickup to replace the old Maglight and to be available if a DRIS light coughs. One left on Ebay!

...We did revisions....triple o-rings, higher output, and much more that I will not name.
Mine is a DRIS 1000 lumen but it only has 2 orings. I did get it fairly early after your launch announcement. Do I just have an earlier version that has now been improved upon? I found another guy on a dive boat that had a DRIS 1000 light, but his looked about 0.5" to 0.75" shorter than mine. Is that the newer 3 oring version?

I've taken my 2 oring version down to 265' with no problems. However, yesterday when I opened it to check oring number, I found a drop of salt water (yes, I tasted it) in between the 2 orings. I was planning on taking it down to 320' this coming Monday. I hope it survives.

FWIW: I have lots of experience working with Chinese manufactures, both supplying them equipment and buying from them directly. They pride themselves on making things cheaper, but what they don't advertise is they significant quality issues, often 3-10X more failed units in electronics manufacturing than US counterparts. Most of these problem are found in QC in the manufacturer or at the distributor. In any case when they fail QC, they often sell them using alternate channels (ebay) instead of fixing them or dumping them. There are no laws preventing this and no warnings issues to customers. A similar issue happen when the get stuck with old stock, they sell direct cheap.

If the quality issue is purely cosmetic, you can score a good deal.
If its an obsolete model, maybe you will be fine with it, but you won't know if it is.
However it may be functional problem and you get a poor product, your stuck. Its a risk you have to balance with the lower cost.

I bought one of these lights and used it in the cooper river this past weekend and was very impressed. I can't speak of the dris light because i dont own one, but the brinyte was just as bright as the oms canister light i had with me. Did a little research and this company also has the shorty version, just ordered one so we'll see how it is.

FWIW: I have lots of experience working with Chinese manufactures, both supplying them equipment and buying from them directly. They pride themselves on making things cheaper, but what they don't advertise is they significant quality issues, often 3-10X more failed units in electronics manufacturing than US counterparts. Most of these problem are found in QC in the manufacturer or at the distributor. In any case when they fail QC, they often sell them using alternate channels (ebay) instead of fixing them or dumping them. There are no laws preventing this and no warnings issues to customers. A similar issue happen when the get stuck with old stock, they sell direct cheap.

If the quality issue is purely cosmetic, you can score a good deal.
If its an obsolete model, maybe you will be fine with it, but you won't know if it is.
However it may be functional problem and you get a poor product, your stuck. Its a risk you have to balance with the lower cost.

True, I remember many years ago this happened with regulators. The client rejected the lot for quality problems and the OEM then tried to sell them to the public with the client's branding. Well until the client found out and threatened them with legal action.

just recieved my shorty version today and seems to be to the same level of quality as the 1000 i bought. I'll find out this weekend!

just recieved my shorty version today and seems to be to the same level of quality as the 1000 i bought. I'll find out this weekend!

How are the brinyte lights working out for you?

I dove this past weekend with my new Brinyte 1200; I can't compare to the DRIS, but very bright, nicely made; 3 o-rings, no leaks, bright enough for me. Price is up to 43.25, shipping included on e-bay.

I dove this past weekend with my new Brinyte 1200; I can't compare to the DRIS, but very bright, nicely made; 3 o-rings, no leaks, bright enough for me. Price is up to 43.25, shipping included on e-bay.
That's Chinese lumens, right? Because according to the Cree data sheet, the MC-E emitter only produces up to 750 lumens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom