Drop leg pocket?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plavin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was just curious about the use of a drop leg pocket like that offered by DiveRite?

It seems like more people lean toward a glued on pocket, pockets on a dry suit, or shorts with pockets. I was just curious if there is any reason for that vs using something like a drop leg pocket that would be attached to your waist belt and around your thigh?

I dive wet, so it seems like wearing shorts just for the pockets would add a lot of drag, and I'd prefer not to have to glue a pocket onto all my wetsuits. Right now I use a pocket on my waistbelt, but I find that it is bulky and annoying there, I'm also pretty thin, so it takes up relatively a lot or real estate on my waistbelt.

For the record, I'm fairly new to diving, but I'm looking to advance toward cave and wreck diving in the future. I'm very interested in the GUE/DIR system, and hopefully when I get out of the west Texas desert I'll be able to get some instruction/mentorship along that line, but for now I'm just reading the book and practicing on my own.

Thanks.

Imo, sew/glue on pockets are superior to shorts or clip-on pockets. You can't forget them, there are less components, and no plastic buckles to get crushed by tanks. You're right about the shorts, they don't impress me, either. Unless you're diving in the keys and simply have NO other options (hard to imagine, but I'll play the game), I don't see any value to them over sew on/ glue on pockets. In all honesty, you can get by just fine with 1 pocket on your wetsuits.

Investing in the right gear early on is better than buying something cheap/easy and regretting it later.

I have halcyon pockets for sale that would look awesome on your suit :wink:

The waist/thigh pockets are incredibly cumbersome and IME, simply don't stay in place during the dive.

I tried it, and while not a DIR person(although I was BM double steels at the time), felt they were simply too much of a hassle considering the benefit(of not simply glueing them on).

I ended up cutting all the staps and webbing off of them, and glueing them.

The waist/thigh pockets are incredibly cumbersome and IME, simply don't stay in place during the dive.

I tried it, and while not a DIR person(although I was BM double steels at the time), felt they were simply too much of a hassle considering the benefit(of not simply glueing them on).

I ended up cutting all the staps and webbing off of them, and glueing them.

I ended up doing the same thing. I had the Dive Rite pockets, no matter how tight, they still move around.

@LiteHedded; How much for your pockets? Which ones do you have?

-Mitch

Hmm. Makes me regret my Diverite pocket purchase :) I bought them as we travel a lot, dive wet, and tend to hire wetsuits to reduce luggage requirements.

Hey OzG,My wife still uses the Dive Rite pockets attached to the waist belt........they don't move around on her. She doesn't get why people glue them on. :)It's all personal preference, use them as you intend for travel...you might not notice any moving around at all. For travel, and keeping weight to a minimum, the DR pockets are a good compromise.You can always glue them on later if you decide to.-Mitch

I used an OMS for wet suit diving but it just moved around to much. After just attaching some pockets to the suit I'm so much happier!

I ended up doing the same thing. I had the Dive Rite pockets, no matter how tight, they still move around.

@LiteHedded; How much for your pockets? Which ones do you have?

-Mitch
I have one set of each. Make me an offer?

I have the Dive Rite pocket that I bought for the same reasons you have mentioned. I love mine. I have used it around 45 dives now and have no problem. I put the waist attachment on my waist belt and just left it on. I am thin also and have had no issues with it moving around on dives. I also bought the Dive Rite shears that attach to the side of the pocket. It is a real nice setup in my opinion.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom