Dropping a weight pocket on a line—dumb idea?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are giving me ideas. I am eyeing this Aqualung jacket in my closet that I never used because I like back inflate. Inside it is a plastic plate that looks handy. If I could get a super cheap wing... I want to experiment with an ultralight homemade harness for a 5’3” gal with a shoulder injury. I want to figure out a configuration that works with dolphin kick too...

You are giving me ideas. I am eyeing this Aqualung jacket in my closet that I never used because I like back inflate. Inside it is a plastic plate that looks handy. If I could get a super cheap wing... I want to experiment with an ultralight homemade harness for a 5’3” gal with a shoulder injury. I want to figure out a configuration that works with dolphin kick too...

Let us know if you find a "super cheap wing." I sure can't :wink: Assuming my snorkel vest wing works out (actually, this is model #2--the first one was a Voit and it died of old age but worked beautifully) it is essentially the same thing however you would need to add a dump valve and oral/power inflator. I can get by just fine without the power inflator, but that's me. There may be heavier-duty snorkel vests out there but the one I got looks like it should hold up for quite some time. Also, from what I have seen I would not buy an old, used wing.

Many of the older jacket-style BCs were basically a backpack with the jacket attached instead of straps so you would probably need the straps from a couple of weight belts I find a Velco quick-release one on shoulder strap to be fairly essential, mainly for removing the tank/backpack but good to have just in case. If you were to use two weight belts for straps then one quick-release buckle could be used on one of the shoulder straps instead of Velcro. In this case I would prefer a plastic buckle.

I've been eyeballing this back plate that would reduce the amount of weight on my belt and it looks like a good deal but so far I really like my plastic backpack configuration:

Blue Reef Stainless Steel Back Plate

@JamesBon92007 that’s a pretty good price on the backplate. Since I will never use that BC If I can’t sell it I will probably play with remaking it. One idea is to harvest the plastic plate which has a tank strap and trim weights then use it for no BC diving, which I want to try in the summer, when I can use 3mil or maybe use just a diveskin.

Peanut 21 Ladies Edition - Tecline Australia

This is the closest ive come to finding something that works for me...all the other bps ive tried have been too long in the body and been painful on my hip bones. I am holding off purchasing until they bring out the teen size which may work even better for me.

PS - Ive had to carry rocks around at the end of a dive twice - old timer :wink:

Oh I’m not sure about a club... Jon from pinnacles invited us. A bunch of his friends would show up. All weather dependent. There were also camp outs and cook outs but I never made it to those... sorry I didn’t now.
Oh ok, Jon from Pinnacles, totally different thing. He used to dive with groups up there all the time, still does. I run into him once in a great while, great guy!
Our club was called the “North Coast Divers”. Jon never dived with us to my knowledge.

Still pretty cool we were diving from the same beaches.
Only if people knew how lucky we are to have so much great camping and diving here!

Peanut 21 Ladies Edition - Tecline Australia

This is the closest ive come to finding something that works for me...all the other bps ive tried have been too long in the body and been painful on my hip bones. I am holding off purchasing until they bring out the teen size which may work even better for me.

PS - Ive had to carry rocks around at the end of a dive twice - old timer :wink:
That looks nice... but why 46lbs of lift?

Oh ok, Jon from Pinnacles, totally different thing. He used to dive with groups up there all the time, still does. I run into him once in a great while, great guy!
Our club was called the “North Coast Divers”. Jon never dived with us to my knowledge.

Still pretty cool we were diving from the same beaches.
Only if people knew how lucky we are to have so much great camping and diving here!
Yeah Pretty cool, small world!

My wing is like rilly rilly old ( “rilly” said in airhead valley girl voice) and I’ve thought about what I might do if it failed at depth when I’m wearing 7mil and over a hard bottom so not a total emergency but hard to swim up, and I thought maybe I could attach my reel to a pocket, drop it, and use it as an ascent line so I don’t rocket in the shallows, can stay down on a safety stop, and there or at the surface, haul it back up... is this a crazy thought?
Probably would replace the wing and would be more worried about being able to swim my rig to the surface. If your properly weighted should not be a problem and then use a lift bag or SMB to hold your safety stop if need be, but with a failed wing shooting to the surface should not be an issue as you would have less lift. Again if your properly weighted

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom